Tuesday, December 17, 2013

4844. C. K. WILLIAMS

C. K. WILLIAMS
(there are no christian virtues)
I'm reading the words of a poet who's dying,
and (if you must know) it's making me sad.
Each little kindred thing  -  down the drain
again. My God how many memories hurt.
There's no snuffbox now between Magnolia's
knees  -  she spread them so long ago 
lest her guy go mad.
-
I'm reading the words of a poet who's dead.,
and God it's making me sad. Why should we
have to die? We should live forever; we good 
men, we soldiers of the road, we valiant warriors.
Every day is another deep freeze  -  frozen heart
and frozen emotion. Here, I am walking through
the crunch of an iced-over snow. The light
is just coming on in the canyon.
-
And I already have to leave.  I already have
to leave : reading a dead man's letters, to what
can my main heart cleave? 10am on a rotten
train filled with men and women alive  -  to
nothing, by contrast, really  :  lipstick and
face gloss, dainty brassieres and fingers
with rings, heels and shined shoes everywhere.
I am but a poet; by comparison, bedraggled.
We really should live forever.

No comments: