Sunday, December 22, 2013

4860. ANNOTATED MISANTHROPE

ANNOTATED MISANTHROPE
One pile of rags at the doorway, five bales of 
paper, wired, at the door. Don't trip, be careful.
The lonesome doorbell rings  -  the elevator light
comes on. Four floors up, the loft is busy; men with
buckets and a hammer wired to speed. It was Bellow,
in Augie March, who said, 'there's a dark Westminster
of a time when a multitude of objects cannot be clear; 
they're too dense and there's an island rain...'
-
Now some mischevious tyrant has the doppleganger of
a black angel parading with apologies, trying to sing
the air to make amends. I am more sure of walking to 
125th street than I am of believing him. Fifteen wrinkled
hambones, three letters of library reference, and a rental
car to Elmira, all my own. The oldest movie I've ever seen 
is playing on a tissue'd screen  -  some ancient film about
babies being slaughtered by a man in a bib. I forget the 
rest, not sure I've seen what I think I've seen. You ask the 
questions, I'll fail the test. The lonesome doorbell rings.

No comments: