Friday, July 31, 2020

13,019. SAVING GRACES

SAVING GRACES
When the pentangle comes down to the
level of bliss, and triangular reflections
cut the sky, maybe then I'll relinquish this
crown of mourning I always wear: The
decibel messages, a'slant' keep arriving.
The man tries to sell me books; the lady
wants me to get a shave from her hot-towel
ladle. I'd be amiss to ignore everyone, but
truly how can I choose between?
-
I have a friend I never see. He hides his
head inside a tree? I heard that long ago;
rocking in hillbilly pines, drinking cold 
water from Evangeline springs; tasting 
the bitter bark of constant willow trees.
-
Now, as I pass the last doorway and am
rudely dragged back, the ice-picker who
grabs me proclaims: 'It doesn't say 'last'
for nothing!' I tell him little back, but reply
in my way : 'If we are made of alien matter,
there's little else to say. Can't you just let
me pass by; one saving grace for the
last stranger on Earth? C'mon, what
do you say?'

No comments: