Wednesday, July 15, 2020

12,973. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,115

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,115
(being the set-up guy for a magazine swindler)
My main quirk was that I didn't
always comprehend things in the
same manner others did. My
first, peculiar, little job was in
Perth Amboy, as I've said,
selling magazine subscriptions,
or trying to, door to door.
The guy would drop us off 
on some residential street,
mostly either in Perth Amboy 
or Elizabeth  -  we never knew
until he got rolling. He'd pick
us up in his VW, out front at
the Avenel Firehouse, the old
one, smaller, red brick, that
used to be there and it had a
bench out front, by where the
old fire-clanger used to be 
displayed. I'd just gotten the
heave-ho from the seminary,
and, having to finish that
miserable senior year of high
school locally  - which was a
useless and boring-to-hell mess
of nothing, I was ready to do
most anything to keep my new
and weird game rolling. So I
went for this slum-doofus job I
saw advertised in the classifieds 
the back of the old News Tribune,
and answered the ad. It was in
downtown Perth Amboy, some
walk-up office, 2nd or 3rd floor,
right across from that synagogue
I mentioned. The guy's name was
Ed. He didn't care nothing about
me, but determined immediately I
could walk and talk and even do
both at the same time, so that was
good enough for him. Some other
guy I used to know, interestingly
enough, from grade school, Jim, 
a local Avenel  guy, like me, also
got one of the jobs, and we'd both
be there together on that bench, for
the ride, and the evening's work 
(something like 4:o0 to maybe
8:00, four times a week. It was
miserable, but we'd double team 
the streets wherever he let us off.
Ed would hang around the town
and the area, for those hours. I
never knew what he did, but bars
and ladies had something to do 
with it, now and then anyway.
If we got any leads that needed
closing, he'd go to the house and
seal the deal. That never happened
too much, maybe 3 or 4 times a week,
Only. I never figured how he made
any money. He paid us $1.25, the
minimum hourly wage, and used 
gas, a car, and whatever else was 
the expense of running a surefire 
business to nowhere. All these 
ladies, housewives, mostly, that I 
talked to were always busy cooking  
-  mostly Spanish or Puerto Rican 
people, with the smells of all that
cooking permeating the halls and 
lobbies of the apartment houses
and walk-ups. Mostly, as is or was
normal for Amboy and Elizabeth, it
was some large home that had been
broken up for 3 or 4 families to live
in. So each house meant a number
of rings and talks. You had to sell
like 3 or 4 subscriptions at a time,
some dumb, fake 'package' deal
we were told (he made it up). So,
for like 7 bucks a year, times 4,
they would get a group of magazines
monthly. We had to find out their
interests, so as to suggest their
'custom' package of subscriptions.
It was all really stupid, but I did
learn how to talk and finagle, prey
on people's interests, act convincingly
sweet, and all that salesmanship
crap you never learn about except
by doing in a slave-labor context.
If they said they liked gardening
and cooking, say, and their husband
was into cars, and they had a 'pretty'
daughter (lots did, and I often was
more interested in that angle as I
talked), who liked fashion, I'd whip
up a Good Housekeeping, a Home &
Garden, a Road & Track, and a
Glamour, magazine packet for
them. Acting all wise and cool as
I did it. It was such lame crap, and
it was the cold months of the year,
with coats and cold and then sweat
and discomfort in the warm houses
and odiferous surroundings. I was
never real keen on it and by May
I'd quit anyway. I just stopped
showing up. The guy was always
ragging on me, because the ladies
would often fall for my spiel, but
when he went to finalize and get 
the dough, they most often backed 
off and changed their mind. Probably 
because he was half drunk, and for 
all I know lecherous too. That wasn't 
my problem; I'd done my lame-ass 
part and I'd get paid; but it never 
made for good vibes and the entire 
job stunk. I don't know whatever
happened to Jim, the other guy, if
he stayed  on or if he quit too. We 
never talked too much, but he 
hated the ordeal as much as I
did. Actually, he died from drugs
in the 1990's. That much I know,
which would have made him about
45 or 50, I guess.
-
Just for spite, my dream was always
to get some woman who'd say to
me that the only interest she had was
sex, and ask then for a packet of hot
magazines, I guess for her husband, 
asking for Hustler, Oui, Stag, and 
Playboy. You know, for the articles. 
Then she'd throw me down on the 
couch, poor sales-boy that I was,
while the stove was boiling away, 
and have crazy 5-minute sex with 
me. Then I'd go tell the jerk Ed to 
'go finish the deal, she's all ready 
for you.' That's was my dream
deal anyway, leaving out the 
daughter part.
-
Elizabeth was mostly just a larger
version of Perth Amboy, but with
a somehow harder edge. It's still 
like that, except they've both now
turned to rot. Mayoral corruption,
like everywhere else, police and jail
and prison problems, pockets of
poverty and want, even in  the
smallest of neighborhoods, and
only another bunch of crooks and
saddle-polishers stealing all the 
gravy while the places self-destruct
or sell themselves away to highest
bidder national chains and junk-shops
galore. That's what loyal Americans
get now for the faith and fealty in
the system. The same system I got
to glimpse by those five or six months
of selling crap: Poor people in their
meager homes and hovels, and some
fool like me trying to nail them for
25 bucks for some tawdry, stupid
consumer magazines to make them
drool and want more of what they
couldn't get anyway. That's how
the seeds of unrest and discontent
are sown. It was already apparent 
to me that this crazy country, with all
 all its Chevy Impalas and Cadillacs
and the rest, set itself up for a fall,
eventually and at some future time  
(like now?) by building always upon 
its own discontent. It could have
been a nice, happy, place, but the
idea behind the dollar crap was
always to push 'more', 'more', and
and jam junk they really couldn't deal 
with or pay for, down people's throats. 
That never brings happiness; just, later, 
grueling anger and apprehension. In
Belgium, they built abbeys, and drank
beer, and were never heard from 
again, living nice, internal lives. Here?
Turmoil and endless garbage magazines
to push fantasy wants and pretend at
information and news.
-
Even at that young age,
I should have known; and I did,
actually, but I never quite knew 
what came over me. I got to
see two, gutted, cities, already
floundering in Winter, '67, from
the real insides out : foods, smells,
interiors, how people lived, what
burdens they seemingly carried, how
ever in the world they birthed so
many kids, and all the rest. I saw,
as well, enough really bad interiors
that I could have probably been a
really successful interior decorator
and made tons of money just by 
doing the opposite of every interior
I saw in those many-times-miserable
apartments and rooms.



No comments: