Sunday, July 26, 2020

13,006. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,126

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,126
(campbell soup cans, on fire)
My military friend, Brian,
what a putz he was. Meltzer,
the last name, as I recall. From
Westchester somewhere, one
of those more high-falutin'
places stuffed with money.
He'd done two stretches in
Vietnam and now was home
for keeps, but I don't think he
really knew why. What was
weird were his intentions. He
wanted a new car. He wanted to
'study art.' He was most often 
with this really beautiful girl
who tailed  around with him. She
wanted to get married, she told
him, but he wasn't 'ready'
for that. I told him once to get a
move on because if he didn't
someone else for sure would.
I ended up liking her more than
I liked him  -  at least  she was
funny, and witty too. But that's
all I knew about her. When
someone says they want to
'study art'  -  that gives me the
heebies; it makes no sense at all.
Why in the world would someone
'study' art?  There's not even
anything to study. If you can
draw a line, it's a club you're
already in. No big-deal famous
artist ever came out of a 'study' 
academy. Art, with Creativity, is
one of those things you're wildly 
born with, or not, and the rest is 
crap. It's a dare most people never 
take. Like knowing five other 
languages, but they're all yours 
alone. When you're really good 
you even make up your own 
talk. All it showed me was
that  person was already failing
at it by having no gusto at all:
Has to be told everything, has
to be 'instructed' for goodness
sake, probably, on how to breath,
even though he's been doing it
since birth and it comes pretty
easy. I could see if someone says
they want to study 'Art History.'
OK then, that's a different story  -
you can teach, or catalogue, or
write about it, or even become
one of them darn 'Curators' now
like everyone's always wanting to
be. Some jerk hangs up 12 paintings
of clowns at a local burger joint
and right away there's some fry
chef claiming on the label tags that
the 'show' is 'curated' by him or her.
I've seen it twenty times : coffee
shops, cafes, all those tweaky kinds
of places; they each always now have
their wall-hangings  'curated' by
Tessie Baines or someone else, who,
when not otherwise busy hanging
pictures, are serving coffee and
scones.
-
So, anyway, Brian comes back from
two tours of Vietnam, it's about 1969,
and he's ready to go at an entire career
of playing at Michaelangelo, if some
other person would please just instruct
him on how it's done. A little strange,
I'd say. First, put down the gun, remove
the beret, and for God's sake stop biting
that cigar in your teeth; you're not Ernest
Hemingway either. Let alone Michaelangelo.
-
Boy, I could never figure where people
got their ideas from. This guy's in Vietnam,
what is it, two hitches, 18 months, I forget?
He comes back stateside and wants to be
an artist. One of the first things out of his
mouth, I well recall, was how all the girlie
mags on the flight home were so different.
I asked what he meant, really not knowing.
He managed to say that, since he left, the
nudity was now total, top and bottom. It
was a shocker for him. I said, 'Enjoy it,
artist boy, it's all anatomy now!'
-
I introduced him to a guy that I shared
my studio area with, when he was present,
which wasn't all that often; maybe 2 or 3 days
a week, he lived in Montclair, NJ, still at
home, and had some other job too, out there.
His name was Mike, and he too had some
sort of military service in his recent past,
though I wasn't all that sure where he had
been. The funny thing, I found, about
Vietnam was that some guys just got
bum-lucky and never went there! It was
crazy to me, with all the anti-war stuff
I'd gotten involved with and my fugitive
apartment people at 11th street, all hiding
out along their ways to Canada, to realize
that not everyone ended up in that miserable
spot. There were still plenty of troops and
support back-up places like Germany, and
even Korea and that 38th parallel stuff,
where guys ended up and comfortably did
their pleasant time. You never think about
that, being as all the noise and nervousness
centered on the guys getting ass-hauled to
Pleiku and Danang and the Plain of Reeds.
Hello Ho Chi Minh Trail, good-by Route
One. (You know what's also funny? 58,000
American guys died in Vietnam, pretty much
for nothing except maybe a few IHOP
franchises, and the stupid spell-check
thing here doesn't recognize 'Danang,' or
'Pleiku,' or even the 'Minh' in 'Ho Chi
Minh Trail.' I think that's pretty rotten).
-
Brian's name, now that I think of it, may
have been Metzler, not Meltzer. He used
to occasionally wear one of those military
jackets the soldiers get, some kind
of fatigue-wrap or something, with the
stenciled last name on the pocket area.
I could never read it well. A lot of
those guys too, I noticed, never get
that stuff out of their systems : wearing
old combat stuff around, as if in some
half-world of 'where-do-I want-to-be?'
They never re-acclimate that well at
first, and why should they anyway. 
-
So, I introduced these two guys one
morning, up in the studio. He had
Nancy with him, that girl I mentioned.
She and I got to talking too, as the
two guys went over things, and I did
get from her, paradoxically, the idea
that she was just doing all that 'I want
to marry you' stuff only because she
knew he'd keep saying no but she
wanted to extend support. Some
support! But I figured I could
understand that as well. I told her,
trying to be real and funny at the
same time: 'Geez! That's like one
leper saying to another, 'Can I have
your hand in marriage? Suddenly,
you've got the hand! And it's
yours then for life.'
-
The thing about Mike, the Montclair
guy, was that all he ever painted were
these rather meticulously done, and
good, in that regard, 'portraits' of
military guys. I guess it was all so
deep in his head  -  straight-back,
uniformed, Lieutenants and the
big-deal brass guys, with all those
bars and service pins, and the dress
uniforms, etc. They'd just be standing
there, mostly at the center or near
center of each one, with some
green hills or military junk around
them, as a background. Nothing
much else, but they all had steel eyes
and seemed possessed of a harsh
determination. I never worshiped
at that altar, so it never much
mattered to me, and anyway I thought
they were pretty lame, except for the
technique, which he had down pretty
pat. All in all I couldn't figure who'd 
want one of these or where'd they
be considered 'Art' or even what
gallery or anything would want
his work or hang it. The Vietnam
thing, back then, wan't anything to
goof about and the distance in time
between it and the 'present,' back
then, didn't yet allow for any sorts
of nostalgia or irony. This was tough
and weird stuff. Like a Campbell Soup
can, by Warhol, maybe, but on fire.
-
Mike was apparently working something
out still, some ghost in his army brain
that just wouldn't leave him alone. Some
people fight all their lives to negate their
father; Mike monkey-on-the-back was
apparently sill the military. Anyhow,
I never did see such steel-eyes on two
guys, even more than in one of Mike's 
paintings, as when Brian, and Mike,
were faced off in front of a few of
Mike's paintings. I couldn't tell if it
was good or bad, really; anything
might have broken out.  It was a weird
ten minutes. They smoked, and talked
a little though not much. I stayed back,
as did Nancy. Mostly what stays with
me, and what was almost tangible for 
those moments, was the idea that, you
know, how when the mind is hard at
work, responding to something, a
person can just stand in front of the
object, staring at it, but you know
they're no longer 'looking' at it.
Instead, what's going on is a movie
of sorts, internal and to only their
internal vision, of all the thoughts,
wants, anxieties and furies, or the
pleasures, maybe, that the object 
being viewed evokes. I think that's 
how it was with thee two, for about 
five minutes. The fires were burning,
the eyes were hot, and, for a spell,
nothing moved at all.





No comments: