Tuesday, July 21, 2020

12,983. I HATE THE REAL WORLD

I HATE THE REAL WORLD
I've got to find a place for going
where the going's good. Time is
of the essence, like they used to
say, though now it's just another
key up on the wall with some 
password I've forgotten, and no
time for stopping at all. Your
cloak is pretty classy, but what
good does it do me now? 
-
One time, in Elmira, just a few
months back, the beginning of
January, I'd stopped at a corner
store, half liquor on the other
half : discount liquors, which in
Elmira means any at all. I stayed
in the van and watched, and then
I got out with my dog.
-
Some guy came over, wouldn't 
you know it, half-assed bedraggled 
and wanting drink. Said he'd had a 
dog once, just last Summer, but his
friends killed it. I stopped him right
there, or tried to, saying, 'Hey listen,
I don't want to hear your troubles.'
-
I even gave him two dollars, figuring
maybe he could buy a tooth. In Elmira
now, everything's pretty cheap, and he
needed at least 10. But he went right
on, the dumb fool, about how they'd
strung a rope around its neck, no shit,
and threw it off that cliff. Right there!
-
And he points, like I really cared. I
was more ready than ever to kill him at
this point, but it was about 12 degrees.
He said he lived there, up, at that house
atop the ridge. There was a well-worn
path, I could see, to the liquor store.
-
Being an outsider again, I'm not sure
I ever wanted to kill a guy more than
him and right there. I said, "Even Hell
has its limits, pal, and you've already
got two feet over the line. Get lost."

No comments: