Tuesday, July 28, 2020

13,011. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,128

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,128
(who wants yesterday's papers?) pt.1
Well, whatever comes down the
pike, one has to deal with it. I
have the walking blues, but I'm
a happy enough guy. That's the
side of me you see; the other
side is what I call my 'factory
side'  -  where the work gets
done. I've been singing the
blues, every day without you.
That's an old song. Hank
Williams, maybe even. Ha!
Made you look. Let's try
Marty Robbins, and just the
plain old 'Singing the Blues.'
It's like a cereal called Sunny
Sunday  -  just doesn't add up,
about all that voice timbre and
bouncy feel. Sounds too happy.
Singing with a smile. The music not
fitting the frame. Larry Kramer
once told his biographer 'How
can you write about me if you
haven't seen my scar?' That
was in Pittsburgh, unfortunately,
where Larry was after his liver
transplant, and his biographer in
NY told him he probably couldn't
make it out to Pittsburgh to visit.
That's maybe a bit like my factory
side; more real than the happy side
anyway. So, don't judge a book by
its cover, or a kid by his mother,
or any of that. It doesn't get any
more wild than what you've ever
seen in a movie, and just figure
how, in movies, everyone likes
everything.
-
I want to touch on, here, just for
a moment, another thought having
little to do with this, but everything
too: I subscribe to the theory that
what's not said is just as important
as what is said. Take a play, for
instance, a drama, wherein the
rigors of stage efficiency, and
moving plot steadily forward,
necessitates the most accurate
snipping and cutting; a 'succintness
of the verbal,' is how I'll put it. A
playwright labors over all of that,
keeping at any time in their head
the structural action and the image
of the play in progress, as it would
be, in progress, while being staged.
There's really very little room for
error or exaggeration and that's a
difficult thing for the writer to
foresee. A bad writer won't be able
to, and he or she will just walk in
to their own ambushes. A bad actor
will tend toward histrionics, which
ruins everything, whether verbally
overdone, or written perfectly. A
reviewer, at the same time, facile and
surface as ever, will start the ball
rolling: 'In Act Two's opener, I
question why Ronald, in light of
the news he'd just been given at the
end of Act One, would handle that
cup and saucer in the manner shown,
while at the same time breaking, and
then lunging, at Peter....' You see, there
needs to be an quality of understated
'elegance,' let's call it, to every act
and gesture. Those are lead gestures,
and they become giveaways to the
guiding light behind the action. not
just cups and saucers  -  that was
merely my lame example  -  but
everything, even diction, and slang.
Why I bring this up is because of
my late friend Bobby Beddia.
-
Bobby was a first-rate, multi-grade,
career fireman, in the FDNY. We
always referred to it as 'Fudny.' It
was situated, his station, at Houston
Street and Sixth Ave., #227 6th Ave.,
to be exact. Engine 24, Ladder 5,
Battalion 2, as I recall. It was not
one of those old, tight, fire station
buildings which you often see in
NYC; this one was maybe a
1965 vintage, utilitarian architecture,
mundane looking, Modern, and low.
But, whatever; it had its own spot
and was situated with decent access
in or out, though maybe a bit awkward,
with traffic. Bobby was the senior guy
there, looked up to, etc. He doubled as
the prime-time bartender at Chumley's,
not that far off. For years. That's where
I got to know him; like a brother too.
Although not a fireman crony  -  and I
knew that, and when they were there
(it was a big fireman's hangout), and
the drinks were rolling and the noise
quotient was way up, I just fell back,
and spoke if spoken to, but that was
about it. Bobby always came by, in
any case, intermittently, to make sure
we were in good shape, up to snuff,
and being served. It never went bad,
and he always gave us time. And beer
too, don't overlook. It was all good,
and it came back to him.
-
When the Twin Towers came down,
on everyone, I knew he was there. But
I couldn't find him, nor his name on
any casualty lists. He wasn't around as
he had been. The fire station lost men,
but his name wasn't posted, no black
ribbons, etc., and it wasn't the sort of'
thing outsiders would ask about atany
of the NY firestations  -  it was all too
raw and sad and deadly. Months went
by, and I mean months. And then, one
day, again, there he was! We were as
enthralled to see him as much as he
was to be back with us. His first words
to me were : 'This gives a whole new
meaning to the words 'I'm so glad to
see you again.' It was stunning. Bobby
had gone through it all, never really
wanted to talk of it, said he'd been in
treatment, had to re-settle his head, it
was bad, and let's put it behind. Life
was back ; drinks all around, all hail
Bobby!
-
There's a bad part to this story, but I
leave that to last. What I wanted to
say is how perfectly succint his words
to me that day were. There's not a
playwright in the world who could
have done it starker or more to the
point. All extraneous expressions
were removed; the words had been
purified. Do I want to say 'purified
by fire?' Well,'yes, and no.
-
On August 18, 2007, there was a
fire in the Deutsche Bank Building,
adjacent to the World Trade Center
site. That building had been damaged
in the collapse, and for those years
intervening was empty; not condemned,
just closed and out of service, with 
plans for some sort of renewal. On
that very day, Aug. 18, I was down 
there, with my wife and a friend.
She had gone into some Paragon or
sports equipment store for a bit, 
seeking some hiking supplies or
something I forget. There was, at
that time, a fire in the Deutsche
Bank Building  -  high up, smoke,
fire trucks, a real racket. I gazed up,
observing. Unknowing. While I
waited  -  I may have even taken 
a few photos, though I'd have to
search 2007, to find them. As I
said it was a high-floors fire, and
the Twin Towers collapse, right 
there, had been 5 years back already.
As it turned out  -  and it's the saddest,
cruelest, most lethal twist of fate I
ever experienced  -  as I gazed up,
Bobby Beddia was up there, dying.
The building had no services. They
were fighting the blaze on an upper
floor. He sought oxygen, to breath
with. He turned on his air, but there
was no power to power the air. He
suffocated, and was brought down
dead. I didn't learn of this until the
next day's news.




No comments: