Sunday, July 19, 2020

12,989. YOUR BIG EARRINGS ARE BLOCKING MY SUN

YOUR BIG EARRINGS 
ARE BLOCKING MY SUN
I knew your father from our army days
together; we fought the guerilla fighters
in some horrid duel to death. Yes, I was
sorry when I saw his head go flying.
Sabres and lances; that happens, and
surely some crazy stuff. I've lived here
now for thirteen years, regretting very
little; but I kept hearing stories of you,
and did always want to meet.
-
Pull up a chair, if you'd like; Charmain
there will bring you whatever you want.
Food, drinks, even mashed beans from
some local forest. This is about 3 acres
here, but they don't use that term; they say
'hectares' and it measures something else,
though I stay with the same. 'Acres' was
always good enough for me.
-
So, I hear you're in some trouble, and need
some money too. And now you've come to
me. I'll probably give you what you need,
and all I have was between us, your father 
and me. Nothing legal or binding, mind
you, but it just always felt that way. I reserve
the right, you should know, to refuse. But
I won't. A 'softee' like me knows no bounds.
-
You should know I too would like now to get
out of here. America again sounds better and
better. I've grown old here, and solid in my 
ways. I'm used to all these humble piglets 
always doing my bidding too. That's a hard 
habit to break. I'd imagine.
-
To my eyes, by the way, you look really
funny; for an American, I mean. When did
all this start  -  those piercings and the earrings
and the funny hair? And how long will it go
on? Do you think? Face it, it's hard for me to
understand all that, an old man from another
land, and you come rolling in like that.
-
Your big earrings are blocking my sun.

No comments: