Thursday, July 16, 2020

12,981. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,117

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,117
(nothing fits, so I don't wear it)
Sometimes I can hardly live with
myself; it's akin to being haunted  -
which I've been called a few times.
By others. I never knew, or know,
what that was meant to get across,
but I was, mostly, fairly uncomfortable
in my own skin. I've read a hundred
books and things all about being the
other way  -  forthright, proud, bold,
and confident, but by the time I get
to page 200 it's all down the drain.
I can't even write confidently about
being confident.
-
Like Huck Finn's 'Pappy' floating dead
on that boat and discovered by Jim but
kept from Huck, my stealthy presence
had always been kept off-stage. It ends
up, I guess, a person has to do what
they have to in order to acclimate and
gauge themselves property to the end 
of their days. I can't explain myself
any better than that.
-
Up in Columbia Crossroads, at the
front end of the barn at the house,
there was an overhang, lean-to thing,
and under it were three or four cars.
They were there when I bought the
place and I liked them right off; just
for what they were. They didn't run,
were just parked there, like country
people do, because that's where they
died and were collected. One was a
black, '69 Mercury 'Turnpike Cruiser.' I
thought it was pretty magnificent, and
it was one of those cars that Mercury
made then that had the reverse-angled
rear window. None of the cars had any
paperwork or title, to me or anyone, so
they were all kind of useless except for
salvage or putzing around. There was
a '56 Ford, and an early Corvair too.
I forget what the fourth one was. Out 
in the field nearby, as well, there were
two trucks. I liked them too, but they
were half sunk into the ground already,
and massively useless, 30 years old,
one was, at least.
-
Again, like Huck's 'Pap' they were there,
on the scene, dead, and you knew it, but
they were sort of kept off-stage. When I
first arrived there and realized that, in
addition to the old house and barn, I'd
gotten some 20 years' worth of crap and
cast-offs, plus, a half-mile back to the 
woods, the remnants of a 1930's town
dump, I was elated. Everyone else I
ever showed or shared this stuff with
was disgusted  -  the opposite of me.
I treasure treasure, even when it's junk.
The junk and the trash of other days had
so many stories and tales to tell. I'd now
imagine all that made me mostly a useless
character, but I'd often sit there, at that
old dump, or amid those cars, and go
through things, piece by piece. The
dump had all sorts of cool stuff: old 
car headlamps from the real old days;
lanterns, pails and shovels, wheels and
tires, old heaps of mangled junk, wires
and pieces of walls and roofing. I can't 
itemize, but it was all there.
-
I had friends, Avenel people and such,
who would occasionally come up, for 
a few days stay. I always welcomed
everyone, as long as they'd promise
to keep quiet about things; where we
were, and all that. I'd been out of that 
Avenel loop thing for any number of 
years, but these  guys when they 
came up (and there were others too), 
would give me a new perspective
on what I was doing, and where I 
was. One guy was a postman with 
an Avenel route, and he'd tell me 
all kinds of local stuff which all
seemed foreign to me  - and he 
wasn't that great an observer anyway; 
probably missed a lot. The weirdest 
one was about those green mailboxes 
that the post office used to have 
around, (each postal-person now has
their own route truck, but it used to 
be that the walking post-people would 
go to these bin boxes and open them 
to get their local-walk mail, which had
been dropped off for them, and bundled.
They were like mailboxes, but for
mail-persons only. The front would
open, and hinge away. Anyway, he
told me how one of the guys, in
such desperate need to pee, had been
able, in the great open maw of the
large, green, mailbox, from a crouch
successfully conceal his peeing into
the empty box! OK, not much of a
story, but for me it was crazy  -  all
that Avenel stuff I'd left behind.
The other guy worked out by Blair
Road somewhere, at a place called
Pilot Labs. I never knew much
about that spot, and he's dead now
too, so that story's over.
-
I had a gun or two up there, in 
Pennsylvania, traded for; and we 
ended up, over the course of time, 
from my rear porch, out to the barn 
overhang thing and the cars (maybe 
200 feet), putting cans and bottles, 
etc, atop the cars, for target practice 
as they learned their gunnery eye. 
Of course, most often, it just also
ended up pockmarking the vehicles
with bullet holes. Same for the glass.
Got to be quite a sight. Eventually
they were hauled away, with a
bunch of other stuff that had 
cluttered the place up. I could
kick myself now over all this
stupid stuff I was party too, but
evenso, if I had the stuff still, what
good would it do me? My life, over
time, has had everything physical
drained from it. Me included, until
this point now when I some ghostly
and disgruntled, writing spirit, over
staying an old welcome. Nothing fits,
so I don't wear it. It turns out
it's just as well because, as Lincoln
or somebody said, 'you can't be all
things to all people,' and to which I
add, 'except that so many people
yet continue trying to be so.'






No comments: