Monday, July 20, 2020

12,982. RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,120

RUDIMENTS, pt. 1,120
(ignorance on parade)
Years have passed now, and
I've become more enmeshed
with that slow human ritual
of dying than of living. There
are things around me now
that I never thought we'd be
experiencing  -  a human
condition, stateside anyway,
now gone to miserable rot.
I never had much grace with
'technique.' On the piano bench
I was always scolded for slumping
(there's a shady  protocol in the
piano industry that one must
come off as elitist, in a way, with
all the proper comportment of a
rich kid in order to 'perform' at
the keyboard well, or not well.
It often little matters how
marginal the playing, as long
as it's done correctly). In
school, same thing; I wrote
with my head too far down,
and I ought to sit up straight
as I write at the desk. As James
Brown said, 'Be cool, stay in
School!' (He left out the question
mark that I would gladly put in).
-
I guess it was like that everywhere.
In NYCity there were whores, and
there were 'high-class whores.' One
did it just like the other, but it was
in the mannerism, and dress, and
approach where all the difference
was. 'Yeah, we can do that, but please
don't slouch.' I often wondered if
that was the same as 'Stay erect,'
in the messaging department.
-
My aspects of life little concerned
that sort of stuff, in fact I hated all
that. Stupid people, mostly always
concerned with stupid things.
-
There wasn't really too much of that
in that 'classroom' format I made
mention of in the previous chapter.
Back in the 1980's, community colleges
were pretty much without pride, and
certainly without pretension. Anyone
there already knew they were there
by aspects of being either secondary
citizens, economically distressed, or
beleaguered by society in some variable,
other, way. No farm school, let's say,
there, for Princeton or Yale. The Merck
people I'd written of were about the top
of the heap, as far as that goes. At the
least, I figured, my bottom-feeding
would get me people who at the minimum,
could read well, and brightly enough.
This was well before the ghetto-carnage
dumping of today, when supposed 12th
grade level marginal-literates can spout
Jay-Z lyrics to their hearts content but
have no reference to Prufrock, Bloom.
or Kurtz. From my later bookstore
experiences I now know that there
are writers whose claim to fame is the
complete and perfect re-creation of ghetto
talk and lingo, and setting, for the dark
and the black side of things; nothing
enlightening or wise at all, but, like
the buxomy Romance novel genre, this
urban-fiction sex and abuse shtick hits
it all home, and sells too.
-
When, at Barnes & Noble, I first saw
the idea of a Section, entitled 'Urban
Fiction,' going up, I knew the game,
as I'd known it before, was over. When
I first got that job, 1999, it was told to
me that Clark, NJ was white. Period.
It had a reputation of a police town
that enforced whiteness, and gave
very little room for the element of a
black culture to take root. There was
a very quiet program of reinforcing
that underway. By 2003, there was an
urban fiction section and I was often
mailing books to prison inmates. Black
inmates. Their aunts or mothers or 
whatever would come in, with a list
of 3, 4, or 5 books  -  black-oriented,
crime-based, ghetto fiction, to wrap
and ship to Tyrone or Shardel, in
Trenton Prison, or Rahway, or the
County lock-up in Elizabeth. Real
uplifting stuff, to be sure. Crime
begets crime, and it's no mystery 
to me why that was so. There was
no serious pattern of learning, or 
schooling or any pattern of an
intellectual inquisitiveness, outside
of the Bible or some version of it,
which was also often sent, and often
WITH the crime books, in the same
send. It is therefore no surprise to
me now when I see the crud in the
streets, taking over and destroying
our 'culture' - or at least having it
now consciously pander to them.
Ignorance really is on parade.
-
That whole 'Clark is white' lasted
the whole time. I don't know what's
it's like now; neither the bookstore nor
Clark, NJ itself. But, I must say, and
I'm going to, that any real shoplifting
done in that store was done by blacks,
for the most part. And this is true. There
was an organized ring, out of Newark,
somehow, of bookstore thieves. They'd
go from store to store, Borders included
(which was another large bookstore chain
doing pretty much the same thing as
Barnes & Noble); anyway, these guys
would drive from store to store and have
lists of what titles to steal  -  it was
some fairly well-organized book-theft
ring, and they kind of knew what they
were doing. Except, we also knew what
they were doing. One time the guy came,
pulled his 3 or 4 books, and made off.
Got in his car and rolled out. We called
the police, they called their guy out
in the street  -  a nearby intersection
was pretty jammed up and he was
directing the traffic. He got the ID of
the car, which we'd given, hauled the 
jerk over,  stuck in traffic as he was,
and the trunk was filled with books,
as was the back seat some. And the
guy even had his list handy. Charges 
were pressed, etc.; end of crime spree.
For that week anyway. They always
used to tell us, 'don't chase anybody,
don't leave the store, don't jeopardize
yourself by following after anyone.'
In this case, the traffic jam did
it all for us.
-
So, as I began to say, my strong point 
has never been 'technique.' When I see
something to criticize or carp about,
I just go at it. My patterned behavior
has most often been disruption, or at
least some seething anger, by which I
wrestle with the conflict. And there's
plenty of that, BUT in the enclave that
I call my mind I keep, as well, the
dominance of those calm and meaningful
places I once inhabited always at the
forefront, or as much as I can. It
all involves distancing, routine, and
hard work. Good enough for me, 
and I'll take it. (By hard work I don't 
mean digging holes or pounding
nails, but rather a steady and sure
mental acuity and some form of
intellectual digging. 'Nuff said,
for now). There's a guy I have
to chase.

No comments: