Wednesday, July 22, 2020

12,991. ROSETTI WITH FORCEPS, 1974

ROSETTI WITH FORCEPS, 1974
Forty-Five years ago at least,
I was running between places:
First one, with a big-city gal, and
then another, in a faraway rural 
oasis. The Civil War graveyard,
then, out Elmira way, ended up
as my home, or nearby, leastways
to say. Peacocks and Austin Healeys.
Mission cars parked next to the lake
while some journeyman preacher went 
on. The church-breakfast ladies asked
me what I was doing there, and I said,
'Learning the language, if you don't
mind.' My wife just laughed it off.
-
Then we went up to Sullivan's Monument,
another church-party-picnic day. I did
kind of want to ask them what they were
doing there, in turn. But I didn't, and
some thousands of dead Injuns rolled
over. The quaint, urban, country wives
just staggered on. A baby doll image
of Jesus in sight, while I gazed down
to the flatlands in fright. Not for me
the give, or the take. (Where was the
night? I could not wait.)....
-
Back on the flats, the garden of civil, by
the graveyard of goodness. Or, maybe 
again, that Garden of Good and Evil?
Dante Gabriel  Rosetti? Peacocks and 
Pre-Raphelites? Where else was I to 
turn? What else was left to learn?

No comments: