Sunday, September 17, 2017

9955. OH THEN, TAKE THE SKODA

OH THEN, TAKE THE SKODA
Thinking maybe it was 1956, I sleepwalked
through the ages, never wanting to awake 
again. I saw that little guy put up his plain
white fence across the driveway and the
property line. Hardware store stuff, like
nails and screws from Sears and Roebuck.
Konrad Adenauer, meet Marshall Tito.
Josip Broz to you. Next time, we'll call
Stalin too. My church group was performing
Stalag 17  -  local amateur theater work.
Women would come, with handkerchiefs 
on their heads, to watch. Some cried real
Sodality tears, others just prayed to the
Virgin. All these years, I thought it was 
all in fun, like the make-believe penchant 
that  women have (I've only heard) to make 
believe they've come. Everything was all
mixed up, the secular became the profane
and backwards it went, the same.  The
drawing room virtues of a footbball
game. Ok then, take the Skoda. It
should get you there by nine.

No comments: