Thursday, September 7, 2017

9919. I'M CHOKED, AND YOU'RE MY SALAD

I'M CHOKED, AND 
YOU'RE MY SALAD
Heard that one down on Nassau Street, some girl
with her Summer skirt stuck in her butt. Endless
rows, it seems of food people, bragging about the
bugs on their natural lettuce. Not all it's cracked
up to be. Get it? Outside the library, the scroungers
still sit, and that Asian guy still sells his seaweed and
eel. Around the corner, the old chubby guy with the
frame shop is gone. I guess he finally retired. I can
remember him though, pretty well  -  nice to talk to,
but he did go on. Now I know the manager across the
street too, of the wine ship called something funny,
I forget. Ivy and Vine, or a name like that. I kind of 
give up with all the cute names. What is it abut 'culture'
which always heads in that direction?. Eight years ago,  
I can remember sitting with Paul Muldoon; he had a 
group of his students reciting their work, reading, 
not exactly reciting  -  a lot of it was OK in that 
undergrad sense : knowledge about everything and
nothing at all, opinionated garage drivel abut the 
Rights of Man in some broken iambic pentameter 
way. I myself was so full of shit, like it mattered. 
A snake in the ground looked better than me in 
my ivy isolation. Why didn't I scuttle it, and
just leave the container?

No comments: