Friday, September 15, 2017

9944. RUDIMENTS, pt. 75

RUDIMENTS, pt. 75
Making Cars
Things you don't much here of anymore are
things I used to like, and what I remember
most. For instance, there was a guy, just 
recently died, in fact, a writer, named J. P.
Donleavy. In about 1964 I read a book of 
his, from 1955 or so, called 'The Ginger Man.'
And then, in 1970, another one, titled, 'Meet
My Maker, the Mad Molecule'. Interesting,
off-kilter books, for their time; the sort of
reads far afield from the enlightened canon
of 'literary' reads. The old word that used 
to be bandied about  -  and which caused 
such a fuss for 'The Ginger Man,' was 'earthy.'
That was a word the stiff-lips used back then
to signal that a person or book was fairly
sexual in content, blue, off-color. Yes, it 
was  adifferent world then, and the flags were
all of a different color. I always liked that 
word, 'earthy'  -  having nothing to do with 
or without its context with the book. I just 
liked the word. Something 'earthy' connoting
'real'  -  someone authentic, unruly. Donleavy
was unable even to get the book published for
a long time. When it was published in the USA,
chapter ten was omitted, and numerous sentences
were blacked out throughout the book. Omitted. 
(Nowadays it would probably be fully illustrated,
and printed in scratch n' sniff ink too. I'd bet).
It was what was once called (also neat old word) 
'expurgated'. Being in the seminary and learning
my fair dose of Latin, I knew that expurgated, a
compound word, as many in Latin were, was a
construction carried forth that way into our own
English. Ex : from  &  purgatio : cleaning. In the
roughest, barest transliteration, by me. So the
book was 'cleansed of' its 'earthiness,' supposedly.
Purgation is also the root of what they call, in the
religion business, 'Purgatory  -  a totally silly, 
halfway concept invented by Catholics to cover
that strange gray area of people (SOULS) not quite
ready for Heaven, but not bad enough for Hell.
Kind of a place where they simmer a while ('a 
while?' What's that? Why is there a time concept
in this entire idea of post-time? Lost me), during
the intermediate time they 'get clean.' It sure
and soon became clear to me how so many things
and concepts we live with were interconnected.
And that was another one : why just not 'connected'?
What's the idea with 'inter' connected? And wasn't
that the same thing really? Latin again: Inter.
Con, which in Latin meant 'with', from the Latin
word 'cum' (no, not that) meaning with. So
it was a way of saying 'with connections.' I
guess, but it still doesn't answer the need for
the redundant 'inter.' 
-
Everything's so crazy-changed now, no one would
look twice at J. P. Donleavy or anything he wrote.
But it was a cool book back when. Like John Ashbery
too, and also recently dead. He had these early 1950's
poetry books published and he kept having hunky
photos of himself on the cover. The kind of photos
that used to sell tobacco, or grace racy books. I
little knew, never even suspected, back then, that
he was gay as ever, and perhaps that was the 
hunk-factor being portrayed. Mustachioed.
Suave. Inquisitive. With burning eyes. I used
to look for the outlandish like that  -  Donleavy
and his British tweedy-craziness, all those weird
habits and sayings. Ashbery, with his steely yet
apt confusions. They were right, for sure. It was
the rest of the world gone nuts. I remember
back, about 1963 I guess, at the seminary the 
almost perverted brouhaha (now THERE's a
word for you  -  brouhaha. It's onomatopoeia
for the 'sound of the Devil's laughter'), over
the simple little book entitled 'The Catcher
In the Rye', which any grown person, in a
cassock or not, should have been able to
willingly accept, for what it was  - an 
adolescent, coming of age tale of no real 
import except to other writers. The kid was
snarky, had an attitude, a faker, confused,
maybe irreverent, a bit twisted, and, within 
the book there was perhaps a 12-second scene,
of absolutely no irreverence, with a prostitute.
Yet there were grown men, (well, mentally
half-grown and half-men), the faculty there,
who carped and interdicted everywhere about
this book  -  this to 360 adolescent boys
probably out wanking every chance they 
could get in toilet stalls, showers, fields, 
sheds, woods and barns. I guess not in the
chapel, but you never know. Something about
that incense smoke or whatever, makes idiots 
of everyone earnest. The present state of book
'publishing' has, by contrast, a segment called
YA (young adult) where, by contrast, by page
23 in every book the kid is undergoing either
a sexual crisis, conversion or perversion, and 
from it the rest of the plot is built  -  vampire or
wizard  -  and being used as a positive influence
advancing the plot of the 13-year within the
story, which problem is often solved by spell,
orgasm, Onanism, or some form of necrophilia,
and applauded by supposed adults for the good
it does the kids. (Funniest thing, after a million 
words of correction and double-checking, 
often reluctantly, I just now did so and found
my Spell Check not recognizing 'onanism' and
just offering  instead 'unionism'. I jocularly 
want to say 'close, but no cigar.'
-
I used to eat up a lot of those 'outsider' books
early on  -  the little library in Avenel had
the store of books I needed, just my speed, 
and the 1960 era library lady there, Mrs. 
Mucilli, as I knew her, was the mother of 
two of my school friends, and an erstwhile 
family acquaintance too, through church
connection. I have no idea what she ever
thought of my selections, or of me, for that
matter, but she smilingly and willingly let
me library-borrow whatever I chose, and
once or twice in fact kept a new volume of
poetry or something else just arrived, aside
for me. Smooth, pleasant environment, and
it's funny how such environments, without
even knowing it, can harbor, in their hominess 
and comfort, revolutionaries, writers, bomb-
throwers, intellectuals, or philosophers. You 
just never know where that 'earthy' type
will come from.

No comments: