Tuesday, September 12, 2017

9936. RUDIMENTS, pt. 72

RUDIMENTS, pt. 72
Making Cars
I used to think about a lot of things  -
I still do, don't misunderstand me. What
I mean to say is that back then, entering
another new level of my own living, I'd
see and notice things that jumped out at
me, as if they were just calling for me to
notice. That period of time's version of
myself was a 'country bumpkin' version.
It never was entirely true, of me, but I
managed; even though it, yes, did sometimes
seem to take almost extraordinary measures
for me to sustain. Theatrical experience
was actually a help there, because after a
certain point even the most skeptical or
jaded participant gets the idea that all of
life is, in one way, 'performance.' Think
of it. What else is advertising anyway? An
entire small country's worth of BS manufactured
to allow the 'individual' partaking of the 'purchase'
the fantasy of being, by that purchase, something
else. Of performing the selected fantasy 'role.'
If done successfully, the silly advertising that
suckers people into all that wan level of
functionality is perfect in what it does : selects
the lie, and then convinces the liar of it. It's
all worse now than it ever was, and the false
satraps who do this, with their bling, gold chains,
big cars, and the rest, have lost all perspective.
It's a real question now of striving way beyond
the actual 'station' of the striver.  That kind of
used to be the 'American Dream,' getting past
one's self, but now it's just stupid.
-
So, one of the things I thought about, way 
back, was how I noticed that what really 
messed people up, and showed as a true 
shortcoming, was this ever-current situation 
of what I called, 'repeat behavior.' People just 
kept doing the same wrong things, over and 
over  -  even after repeated consequences and 
repercussions  -  which you'd have thought they 
would have learned from, or at least seen. I knew 
any number of really wasted guys who were 
essentially at the constant mercy of their own
continued drunkenness. Maybe not raging, 
stupid drunkenness, but the kind that keeps 
you just the other side of dizzy, unable to be 
dependable, hold a job, keep a family. There 
was lots of that; lots of these lost guys fumbling 
around all the time in old ratty trailers out 
somewhere in a 75-foot plot of land they'd 
found or been given use of. I'd go to a few
of them, somehow hitting up a hang-around
friendship here and there. They always had lots
of idle time, and space-  while I worked locally, 
during the time of the Hurricane Agnes 
wipeout, when Elmira and lots else were 
shut down and staggering from the flood. 
My side of the border, Pennsylvania, didn't 
get much but some high-water and the overflow 
of the Susquehanna; but that was more to 
Sayre and Athens, 20 miles or so to the east. 
So, anyway, it was like immersion-learning. 
With the natives, so to speak, learning their 
language, customs, cusses, habits, ideas and 
ways of looking at things. That was my 'role,' 
and I was intent on a good character study.
 'Learning the accent,' you know.
-
These guys, and women too, all suffered from
repeat behavior. Not everyone  -  for there were
some fine and prosperous farm families about. But
they were in the community positions of authority.
Plus, they had all the 'old' names, the ones you'd see
in the local cemeteries from the 1800's. Hobarts,
Hendrickson, McCauleys, and such. They never
had much to do with me, except the one or two
times they and their 'committee' passed judgment
enough on me to hire me, like the school board
job, and the bus-driving company thing  -  from
which latter job they too later axed me. That was
how the local lands all about were run. I was an
outside, a newcomer anyway, and was never
part of their equation. But the repeat-behavior
people, I noticed, all fell into the same traps
over and over, reinvesting their low status each
time with the same attributes of that low status.
It was like a self-generating, perpetual-motion
machine they'd invented but didn't even know.
If they only knew, or saw it, they could at least
take credit for inventing it, but even that didn't
work for them. It was not just the drink either.
Their repeat-behavior went into lots of things.
Money matters. Fighting. Bad health. Getting
locked up for two or three days, or even, in two
cases I knew of, being sent to the nut-hatch,
booby-farm, crazy-house (all local terms) for
a few months in Clarks Summit, for drying-out,
rehab, or 'counseling' and/or shock treatments.
Somehow, at some point, you must find the
need, the real, deep, personal need, to break
out of that deadly trap.
-
To show how good I played my appointed role
after a while, let me present this little, true, story:
On my property, and as one of my operational
vehicles, I had a 1947 Willys. It was a big, boxy,
wooden floored wagon sort of thing. Super
station-wagon, I guess, or small box truck, 
with windows. I forget how I came by it, except
that it was on my property when I got there, with
a key too. There were 5 or 6 vehicles other than
this, but they were mostly wrecks  -  '55 Mercury
Turnpike Cruiser being the best of the lot, alas,
though beyond salvage. I got it going, the Willys,
worked out the tires, got everything going good,
and actually began using it. No paperwork, of
course, and just the old, single, PA plate on
the back. One day, in my best farm-boy manner,
I got it in my head that we'd take a family outing
(wife and 3 year old kid) in the vehicle. Got way
ahead of myself in distance and location, and ended
up on Rt. 17 out Elmira way, nearby. Bad move.
The Willys only went maybe 40, so I stayed to
the right, drove clean and all that, but even the 
smallest time I was on that highway (so dumb),
a NY State Trooper got me. Pulled me over. I 
had nothing, and I knew it. I told the others to
sit tight, let me handle things. It was Easter-time, 
I forgot to mention.
-
I had a tee shirt on, and my farm-boy hat, and
probably smelled too of the barn and cows 
(lingering smell, never went away). Sitting there,
I knew I'd have to perform. Cop slowly comes 
to the window, I head him off at the pass. He
gently starts his spiel about 'why I pulled you
over,' blah, blah. Looking the vehicle over by
glance. I knew if he got to the part about asking 
for paperwork I'd be sunk. From working in
Elmira I knew there was a dog-pound and
adoption center up one of these hills. Using
my best L'il Abner recreated voice, I played
the complete yokel. "Well, officer, we're kind'a
jes' now lost; ain't out these parts much, but it's
Easter time and people told me there's a dog
pound up here somewhere and me and the 
wife here took a dare to find it to get the little
fella' there a new dog for Easter, kind'a to
make his day back at the farm and all.
Problem is now, I'm getting low on gas,
we've gotten kind'a lost, I'm a'drivin' slow
to get my bearings here and keep it all
together, hopin' to find this place, and get
back home before dark. You wouldn't know
then if I was near to it, or even in the right
territory?" Anyway, it all worked, he took
the bait, gives me the kindlest, gentlest 
directions I needed, set us on our way, and
NEVER even asked for paperwork, license, 
insurance, none of that. License would have
been the only one of those items that existed,
by the way, and I was quite proud too of that
Pennsylvania license with the endorsement
for bus and farm vehicle driving too. Well, 
we got us there, found a puppy too, and got 
home in good shape, all back roads. Had
plenty of gas.

No comments: