Wednesday, September 27, 2017

9987. RUDIMENTS, pt. 87

RUDIMENTS, pt. 87
Making Cars
I can recollect lots of things but
I never am sure if a recollection
is to be seen as a memory. There's
probably a slight difference in the
relational reality between the two;
perhaps akin to 'tasting' an orange,
versus just finding an old shirt still
soaked with the wet juice of an orange.
So I can never be sure which of the two
it is that I'm dealing with, though both
are real to me. Maybe a recollection is
the one done in quiet tranquility; which
the memory still throws up, its heat and
steam of the moment remembered. Over
in Towanda, PA, for instance  -  a place
I remember well and have in fact again
re-visited a Spring or two back  -  there's
an old bandstand in the middle of the
town lawn  -  it's mostly nothing now,
all the nice paint and detailing having
been removed, and replaced by a merely
'modern' efficiency, easy to be kept up,
painted, and maintained by town workers.
Seldom used. Like town trees  -  mostly
now considered useless or even dangerous,
and cut, trimmed, and/or removed for
purposes of supposed 'safety' and efficiency.
Anyway, back in the mid-1970's, this
bandstand still wielded all of its aspects
from the 1890's. Ornate curlicues of
wood and molding, very fine, decorated
panels along the top, a wonderful
center-crest and pointed vane, I guess
a lightning rod too. (None of that
remains any longer  - just now a plain
shelter with a bench wall). In my
experience of it, I often sat there and,
in reverie, was transported to 1890,
whatever : bunting, flags, a crowd of
swells on the grassy lawn, big flouncy
long dresses on the ladies, the gents
all jaunty and dapper, sideburns and
curls, looking glasses and bonnets.
Inside the bandstand, a brass band
tunes up, for marches and patriotic
songs and the romantic songs of the
day; kids twirling wheels, bicycles
on large frames, a few horses and
wagons, the entire town, it seems,
drawn out for some afternoon's
attraction : bright, dappled sunlight,
green grassy lawns, the Mayor, fat
in a top-hat, and his gentle wife,
milling about. Everyone is chatting.
It's a strange long-day afternoon. I
know I saw it, and I know I was there.
I 'recollect' the memory? Or I 'remember'
the recollection? Either way it goes,
it's my ticket to this life, and I'll
not deny myself entry.
-
Long time back, maybe 1966 or '67, I
knew this guy, and his friend. They were
completely enamored of this Who song
called 'Happy Jack.' They took great and
unending delight in the happiness and
carefree attitude presented in this tune by
some person named 'Happy Jack,' who
evidently, was bothered by nothing at
all  -  kids throwing stuff on his head;
ridicule by others, etc. He just stayed
happy and got through it all. The song
meant very little to me, inasmuch as I
was more taken with the three-minute
fierce intensity of Keith Moon's drumming
and to heck with the silly words. And
all that high-voiced, group-chorused
'lap lap lap lap' as vocalized, sort of just
annoyed me. But it came across as two
very different points of view. And one
of which I could never share. I never really
'enjoyed' anything  -  I was always trying
to fit something into its context, I guess
you'd say. How it was done, where it fit
in, what would it bring forth next. They,
however, just reveled in the howling
good time it brought forth. 
Strange to me.
-
Each of these items just related I recollect
and remember. One I lived through (the
Happy Jack routine), the other....I just
don't know. It throws me all off, any of
this. Like (only maybe) Proust's swooning
over his Madaleines  -  those pastries from
Aunt Leonie recollected. Remembered?
He breaks it all out between involunatry
memory, and voluntary memory. I'm not
sure if that's the same.
-
I never had a light moment. Sure, I make
a lot of dumb jokes and puns, but most
of that's because my mind is always
churning language. Words. Speaking of
'involuntary'  -  I can't help it. What others
saw as a good time, I most usually hated.
It seemed I could never settle in with froth,
or foolishness and idiocy, even if it was
dressed up as a real event : the theater,
a dance or a prom, a graduation or a
wedding. (To say I enjoyed funerals would
be a gratuitous slight). There always is a
distance I keep, somehow, between my
'self' and the event. I can't let it touch me.
Even  the time I went to Trenton to pick
up my seven-million-dollar check for
winning the lottery, they wanted to make
a big, happy deal out of it, and I refused.
(OK, so I'm kidding).
-
Back in the late 60's, there wasn't much of
a call for what we today term 'comedy
shows.' The world hadn't yet turned
goofy, and there was still quite a trail to
walk before we got there. A couple of
assassinations, a few beheadings, and a
few real mistakes. They all had to be
gotten out of the way first. Everyone 
was, it seemed, always pissed off about 
something and there was very little 
humor about. Lenny Bruce, at the 
Cafe Au Go Go, on Bleecker St., he got
hauled off the stage a few times, and
arrested for obscenity, just for trying 
to BE funny about things  -  things no 
one thought were funny. Like sex, or 
Elizabeth Taylor and Jackie Kennedy, 
riffs about words like 'to come,' and 
'cocksucker.' Hauled right off-stage
in an instant, and punished for it all. 
They used to send undercover cops, 
and then later just regular, dumb-ass 
Tooty and Muldoon type cops, to sit 
in on these nightclub acts, watching 
from the rear, and they'd walk up and
shut-down the act and drag the comic
off-stage. Truly unbelievable stuff.
The world was pretty frazzled, Happy 
Jack or not. I had real trouble with that, 
because although I enjoyed nothing at 
all, I did feel that the world was pretty 
funny, a lion's-roar of rip-roaring
hilarity, with things off the track 
everywhere. Within ten years. of course, 
I'd be proved right, and the entire world 
opened itself up to its own sick situation, 
and the dire humor of it all. But for right 
then, it was all a no-no.
-
So, a lot of people sure got a lot of 
things wrong. Things I remember. Sorry.
Like that whole banana-boat song fiasco, 
about 1960  -  ' Daylight come, and me
want go home.' What were people thinking, 
I wondered, with that false pidgin English
and twisted suburban romanticsm about
slave-wage owners on some island somewhere
breaking their backs to harvest and load 
bananas. There should have been cops
locking people up for that. There
weren't, as I recollect.



No comments: