Monday, September 4, 2017

9910. RUDIMENTS, pt. 64

RUDIMENTS, pt. 64
Making Cars
I never regretted much, or at least
I thought I never regretted much, but
it's hard to say, really. Such stuff was
never the sort of thing I got stuck on.
What difference would it make anyway?
I'd gone from point A to point whatever
it was, far off. The entire jumble of my
own first 16 years had turned out to be
a costly (to me) bunch of individual
moments, deduced as one long skid
into a good-bye that never had really
happened. I'm glad for that, though,
amidst my 'regrets' (supposed) I
sometimes wasn't that regretful at
all. What else was to be expected
(of me)? Could anyone else, I used
to wonder, understand my words,
what it was like to be me  -  brought
back from the near dead of getting
trashed (and thrashed) by a train,
spending way too much in time
seeing the world from the wrong
side of a hospital wall? You know
what you see there? Nothing but
duty, illness, and routine. Who wants
that? As a 9 year old or whatever I
was, certainly not me. I found that
entire spectacle blessedly boring.
And it didn't reinforce my faith in
anything of this world any. But what
it teaches you is to shut up about it,
no one wants to hear you. So, I went
mum with my own private and
personal knowledge of that had
happened to me. Nobody ever
believed me, and that was OK. I
can remember, from the 4th floor
corner window of whichever corner
it was in then Perth Amboy General
Hospital, looking out, later, when I
was able, and seeing the street down
below, watching the cars come and
park, and people, from four floors
up, walking about. I had two or three
neighbor people from my home-street
who'd often come to visit  -  a solidarity
thing, friendship. Kaisens. Yacullos.
I'd gotten to be able to recognize their
cars coming in for visiting time, not
that I could really see them as little
figures walking, though I sometimes
did. But I knew their cars and colors,
the Orange and white '55 Olds, and
the pink and cream Chevy Mrs. Yacullo
drove, and her husband's enormous
'58 Buick Special as well. That was,
for a period of time, life for me. Strapped
to a bed, looking, peering, craning down.
To see something, anything. Some sort
of proof of an outside world existing
beyond my horrid perimeter of casts
and traction-straps and wires and
plug-ins into a crank-able up and
down hospital bed which I abhorred.
-
When you're stuck in a hospital, there's
not a dream to be had. They may tell
you there is, but that's just to cover their
own boredom. This was a ward kind of
place, not like the private or semi-private
rooms most people have now. Maybe they
were available then but I sure didn't have
one. This were some 30 people, two long
lines of beds, and it all went on even past
what parts of it I could see. Nurses were
always busy, and scurrying about. Carts
of juices and medicines, and then the
food service stuff, everywhere. I hated
everything about it. There were kids
and grownups, everything was mixed
together. In fact, there were people on
rolling beds in the hallways because
they couldn't fit them all in. Early
days of Middlesex County hospital
over-crowding, before they started
building all those big medical centers
and things like that have now. JFK
Hospital, Robert Wood Johnson, etc,
that entire field has grown leaps and
bounds. Back here, they never had  -
that I knew of  -  people dying of
SEPSIS or, basically what it means,
dying of the germs and bacterias they
get from just being in the hospital,
where they're 'supposed' to be getting
fixed. So much for all that. We had
people and food and junk everywhere
-  screaming people and yelling people,
wailing kids and insane-crazy old-people
babbling about WWI and stuff. If someone
like Mrs. Kaisen had come up to visit and
told me instead that it was now an insane
asylum and I had to be kept there for
some more  -  long  -  time, I'd probably
just have accepted that on the facts of
the matter and the evidence I saw at
hand, figuring she was right. There were, 
at every turn, people smoking (including 
her, on these visits). Try that today, and 
they'll hang you out the window.
-
I never knew much about the hospital ward 
deal, but I guess it was part economics  -  
meaning I'd guess my parents couldn't pay 
for more. I don't know, but it sure was 
an education too. Think of it, I mean not 
at first, but after a while as I was sort of 
'back' from death and fully aware. I'd see 
all this crud going on, people coming and
people going. It was like a graduation or 
something when someone left. I never saw
death, but every so often there'd be an empty
bed you couldn't figure for. Curious, but
no one ever talked about that, leastways not
to a kid. After a long period, with crutches 
and stuff, I could actually get around, and was
allowed pretty much a free range up and
down the whole gigantic room. I'd see people,
I'd go off in both directions, all the way down
to the end and back up. See different people
in their weird beds, or weird people in their 
different beds. Sometimes I'd even get
out to a hallway, and see all the backed up
people awaiting beds of their own. A few 
things still stand out  -  remember, I was
only 9. I'd occasionally see, in the hallway
anyway, people battered up (lots of primitive
car crashes back then), faces and heads all 
bruised or wrapped, and every so often,
astoundingly to me, and I still don't know
what it was about, there'd be someone with
a slab of raw meat, like a steak or flank-chop,
strapped in place over an eye or a forehead.
I never figured that out; maybe it was some
raw-meat, protein cure underway. But I 
saw it, and have never heard a thing about
it. And another thing was, in later life, how
I'd sometimes see a war movie or the like,
and there'd be endless wounded and ailing 
soldiers, in all sorts of field hospital or 
military hospital disarray, arms blown off, 
limbs missing, heads all slathered in gauze, 
all these sad soldier-types commiserating 
with each other's woes and sorrows. The
shell-shocked screamers still in horror, and
the frozen, shapeless dazed and confused too.
That stuff always reminded me of this strange,
weird, confusing hospital ward of endless
plaints and sorrows. Every so often there'd
be some motley priest or religious person
parading around, stopping at beds, holding
heads while they prayed, doing rosaries and
holy water and all that. Especially women, in
the beds, they'd be all swooning and emotional
over this that Father Whovever or some version
of Parson Weems or even Rabbi Schmucker.
The religion stuff got played up pretty big,
but I could see why; yeah, for sure. 





No comments: