Saturday, September 16, 2017

9946. WANDERJAHR

WANDERJAHR
Tom Sawyer, wasn't it. Nor quite
Huck Finn. Holden Caulfield went
home. Wasn't it. Augie March, maybe,
but he had all that 'American, Chicago
born' stuff to deal with, and who cares.
The kind of person who refuses to shut 
off lights for fear the darkness is gaining
on him. That's too much, just altogether.
-
Those kind of people bet on the market;
looking for better horizons, they buy
futures, as if futures can be bought.
-
So, I hold myself to different standards, and
you may mind and I don't care. I claim not
'an American, Chicago born,' for myself.
In fact, I want nothing to do with it at all.
-
I can walk this wet meadow at six am. My
feet will be wet with the dew, and charmed
as well, the leather of my shoes will rot. Later.
That large house we know so well, just at the
near fence horizon  -  Strathmount, it is called.
It'll hold us, running. Years before, we used to
hide in those big shrubs ; I'm not sure that you'll
remember. You were only five or six.
-
Now, those days resound like gold in a fading 
mind. I'd wished to say mine, but it's mind for me.
You were my son then, and I do remember : we
watched all that baseball stuff, those games with
Reggie Jackson and his God-damned homers. On
Friday nights, at seven it was, I'd always watch
Wall Street Week In Review, with Louis Rukyeser.
Stupidest show in the world, but back then it was
all we had. I'd imagine the New York market weeks
closing up again, until Monday, and think of the
steaming city two-hundred fifty miles away. Stocks
and bonds, bonds and stocks. Then, right after that,
it was Washington Week in Review. Same dumb
stuff, but about politics, and not in New York.
-
And then, at eight, whatever flotsam Yankee game
was on, we'd end up watching that. A flim-flam,
all flim-flam, on a flimsy flim-flam oasis.

No comments: