Wednesday, September 13, 2017

9939. RUDIMENTS, pt. 73

RUDIMENTS, pt. 73
Making Cars
I forget who but someone had an
album out back in those early 1970's
called Pretzel Logic. Whatever Winter
that was I remember driving in a blinding
snowstorm in bitterly cold weather, in a
one of my cars, with visiting friends, and
with that playing. Hazy, but it was radio
they'd put on, for the ride, not a tape or
any of that (cassette/8 track days), so
I guess it may have been the Elmira College
radio station doing it. Sounds right. There
wasn't too much other stuff up there to keep
a person occupied  -  long, cold Winters, lots
of deep, mountain darkness, a need to mostly
do your own stuff, whether it was repairs,
doors and windows, cars, heat, wood and
food too. It was pretty weird  -  living like
that. It's easy to just look back now and
scoff, but it was a peculiar time out there,
right up through say 1976. Real 'modern'
stuff hadn't hit yet. Out in the hills and
hollows there were still things like smoke-
stacks with ribbons of smoke curling up,
snow up to the bottom rungs of fenceposts,
clothes and boots on the porch, with dogs
and cats about, just hanging out. It was
slow and singular. There was a private
screen of sorts around everything that only
got broken by invitation. I can think of
25 things, right off the bat, that didn't
yet exist to ripple that slow sea of time
I was living on. In turn, from my perspective,
we were still just a mass of kids, or people,
who accepted everything. Most of the people
I knew just went along, shared the usual
aspirations and beliefs which were then
current. I can remember, up at Cornell, on
that Ithaca hilltop where 'college town' was,
how definitely one could still stand out.
Just by being different : there was yet a class
of intellectualism to which one could aspire
and just by aspiring be seem as different.
There was a unique turn to things. I'd be
up there, sitting in any of the few bookstore
and coffee places that then were at the top
of that hill. The one we mostly frequented
had the walls AND the ceiling covered with
book covers, I guess stapled up. I forget.
That too sounds the simplest, dumbest form
of decor, but you have no idea how valued it
became. It acted as a token, that the world
could be broken if you just applied yourself.
There was something about being a sentinel
like that, a 1970's breakaway, that carried a
real lot of sense with it. Beatniks were gone.
Existentialism was over. Hippie stuff, yes, up
there it still lingered : maybe 5 years out of date,
but you'd still see it. The (mostly overweight)
hippie girls in those flowing caftan type things,
ridiculously tribal, beaded, flamboyant, would
still be sashaying along, mostly oblivious to their
own foolishness. Whatever that old hippie smell
was, they always had it  -  patchouli or something.
Whatever they were trying to cover up, I didn't
want to know. Then the other girls  -  if they
weren't chubby they were 84 pounds, in jeans
that were appliqued with elephants, peace signs,
moons and suns, pixies, donkeys, or daisies.
All together. The tiniest little breasts in unslung
blouses. Mirrored blouses, string blouses,
Indian fabrics, and 'India' or 'Native American'
at that point made no difference. Just Indian.
Slippers, sandals, boots, or  -  warm weather
feet, nothing. The guys, a fine closest-full of
vamps they were too : often much the same as
the girls, fey, wan, weak, slim, denims worn so
long you could see the body grease in the fabric
just waiting to be wrung out, or, jeepers, just
washed out.  Everyone just sat. The bookstore
crowd was no crowd at all  -  five or six people
at a time was a mass attack.
-
'Old Black Water' or something like that,
that too was one I can recall. Doobie Brothers
maybe. Except it sounded like some old,
Ozark country backwoods music. Startled
me. See I never knew this stuff but we'd
get visitors often enough from back home,
Avenel and Woodbridge people, even cousins
and kin, who would take the five-hour drive
often enough to just slum out with us, in the
huge, old, cold house, for the three, four, or
five days they could get. And those visitors
would bring all this current culture TO me
just by their existence. I was otherwise mostly
completely secluded, out of touch willingly.
But they had, by osmosis, all this stuff in
them; in their cars, their radios, the things
they did and talked about. So I'd get the
complete rundown on it all. Then, for
something to do, I'd drag them somewhere,
to something of the sort they'd never have
seen before. As if taking them back in
time, and mostly it was and mostly they
never really even understood what they
were seeing. People, it seems, have always
tried to understand me, but I was never that
understandable at all. I used different words
and I connected different things. My concepts
were different, and unsubstantiated  -  in that
if I tried to set them down and explain them,
these ideas (I never wanted to, and never had
to anyone would just walk away, probably 
trembling, that I was plum loco). The way
I was living out there only compounded this
entire mess. After a while, the best solution
just always became to take them to Ithaca.
It always worked, my friends, as visitors,
always liked it  -  'cosmopolitan,' my friend
Paul called it, like I took him to Bombay
or London. It just meant that, because of the
isolated university aspect, he'd see all sorts
of international types walking around. And 
he was right. Besides, the college part of the
town was all still smoldering. Over the recent
few years it had been the hub of protests,
riots, takeovers, fights, and police actions.
A lot of the seething and anger was still
around; the Black Students Union was
still fearsome. Salutes and signals. As I
mentioned, culturally, hippies and slackers
were still dripping over everything; there
were huge, hillside rooming houses caked
with people, rags, dogs, old cars, vans and
micro-buses, as if the Grateful Dead had
forgotten they were supposed to have left
town. It was a great, fearsome scene. Cheap
food, beer, coffee, anything. We'd get back
to the old farmstead and its quiet, black-night
darkness, and just shudder at the difference 
those 35 miles would make. Country miles;
no one gave a whit of care about distances.
Cars flew, as things ripped by. In between, 
along the ways, we'd pass gigantic farmhouse
communes like encampments. People on the
move, cars everywhere, campfires. Out along
both sides of Rt. 14, or whatever that was,
you'd see them looming  -  like large biker
parties (I'd learn later) or itinerant groups
in their own campgrounds. Open fires
and all. Like Burning Man is today, once 
a year, except these people lived this way
and every day. Along the secondary roads,
and farther out, it got even better.  Things
were set way back, and it seemed pretty
private. Like those beautiful, little, Gypsy or
Romany encampments in some Transylvania
Mountain woods of old. I once read, about 
those days, post-hippie, etc.,  someone saying 
that in those early 1970's years, before it all 
settled back down and landed again, drearily,
into the rigid and dumb routine of (in quotes) 
'the 70's', there was a whole (underground) 
nation of youth on the move for two or three 
years, roving, unsettled, and just drifting. 
I guess that was true. And I guess if anyone
could have grabbed that, and made a power
out of it, things right then cold have really
taken off, been changed, and all the rest. 
I only think of this stuff now, and almost 
wish it had been me, back then, realizing 
that. I could have carried a great following 
to  most anywhere, I bet. I had that sort of
latent mojo, just wasted.
-
Anyway, that was then, this is now, as 
someone said  -  still another of those cranky,
leftover 'rock music' aphorisms we're stuck 
with. One last thing here, for this chapter: 
Again, whatever year it was, creeping out 
of my cocoon, one day some visitors came
by to stay for a while : maybe a week. 
Hopelawn and Fords people. They brought
with them about 7 homeless cats they'd picked 
up somewhere along the way, and they asked
if we wouldn't mind taking them. Pretty crazy,
yeah, but we did; they weren't large, and not so 
bad. We let them all out in the barn, and kept
after them for a while, but country cats eventually
get along fine on their own. And these did.
That same trip these people brought to our
attention, or to mine anyway, 'A Horse With
No Name' - by a two-man group called 
'America'; and something called 'You've 
Got to Give It Up...' or maybe it was 'Get 
It Up', I honestly forget, by some group 
called the J. Geils Band. I'd never heard
either before, and, by whatever standards
of the day, they were each refreshing, and 
different, to hear. Goes to show, I guess,
what living in a (metaphorical) cave will do.




No comments: