Thursday, August 21, 2014

5815. YOU CAUGHT ME LEAVING

YOU CAUGHT ME LEAVING
There's no post on the fence and the August flowers
are now drying and getting pale  -  it seems as if, yes,
all things are winding down. Biblical growth, the growth
of an entire Spring and Summer, seems to flash away as
quickly as it comes. A few months of this, then more of that.
I don't take sides. I can like either. My fragrances come,
anyway, from a more heavenly scent  -  an odor of
accomplishment sent from above. 
-
It's not as if you must like me : you may look askance and
I'll survive. The tongue-lashing accrues to me as merely
work, more stuff I don't wish to do. Talk you yourself then,
if you want to. I'm open, but I won't drag you in.
-
How meddlesome, rally, can any of this be? I'm standing 
outside of Washington Irving's city home, at Irving Place
actually. This is not his estate'd mansion, upriver some, at
Irvington/Tarrytown. I like that too. This is, rather, a small and
crenulated little townhome on the corner of Irving, by 14th,
by Madison Park, where still the little flowers are growing
in his flower-boxes. No, OK, they're not his now, but so what.
-
I stay here, sometimes, as often as I wish  -  with a notebook or 
a sketchpad, sitting. There are benches for people like me, and
no one makes a bother. It's quiet enough, for New York City.
Not far away, there's some sort of high school of something or
other, but even that too is quiet. A big, enormous head of
Washington Irving is in place there, outside, at the corner too  -
some silly homage, a sculpture that really shouldn't be.
Everything gets over-sized when you deal with vanity.

No comments: