Monday, August 4, 2014

5649. TO MY SISTERS IN OLD NEWARK

TO MY SISTERS 
IN OLD NEWARK
Before I die I want to play for you one last tune
I wrote along McCarter Highway when I was 
twelve years old. I had a string in one hand and 
a yo-yo in the other. It was a Saturday when the
ball teams were choosing up sides. I was 
nowhere to be found. Now the sound of
everything is silence.
-
There was one time, in a blinding snow  -  another
instance  -  when I stayed outside for hours, just to
see how much cold I could withstand, while my 
father worked inside. He made furniture and upholstered
things for Co-Op Industries. Every once in a while he
would take me along to work. I'd play outside or just
stand around. Furniture was otherwise pretty boring.
-
I'd watch the Spanish guys in their little cars : funny
things, from Panama and Costa Rica. The emblems on
the hoods had most all been replaced, with big chrome
things  -  swans and boats and over-sized winged birds.
I could never understand, but those men took their pride
from whatever was their ride. Now the sound of
everything is silence again.

No comments: