Saturday, August 16, 2014

5799. CROSS THE RUBICON

CROSS THE RUBICON
Notice that this lantern turns, its light
now running backward over the unpolished
floor. Can we see anything at all? I hear a gasp,
I sense a whimper. Sorrowful me, I'm so sad
to have offended. My affection is deeper for
a lost wild animal than ever for anything human
at all. Right now, I just want a solitary confinement.
-
I'll sit here, like this, for years alone if need be.
I dislike the talking, I dislike the passing of time.
Please don't mimic me  -  say what I say to distress me
today. See the lantern light, once more, spreading thin.
-
This morning, it was, I last tried being civil  -  the man
in the golden vest, he was laying out a sidewalk table
where I often sit. I said hello. He offered me his hand.
We agreed it was a quite wonderful day.

No comments: