Sunday, August 24, 2014

5827. ALL THOSE MEN

ALL THOSE MEN
All those men are here from Kashmir; they are
dark and mysterious, running a shop. They sell
Afghani trinkets, and stuff from far-off, places
like Pakistan and a small kingdom in the Himalayas.
-
I started talking to them, a long time back  -  they 
were selling heavy blankets and coats, strange boots 
and covers, they said their brothers were yet all at 
home, 'fighting the Soviets in the cold.' It somehow 
made sense to me. It was 1978, Greenwich Village, 
it was always cold there too, and, anyway, I did like 
the strange, dark girl I'd see behind the counter. They 
offered me tea and beans. I thought. They weren't
beans but some sort of nut.
-
It went on like this  - quiet, dark nights with the
settled small talk of people in common. They asked
about me as much as I asked about them. No cars,
no riches  -  we were each happy in a poverty of
circumstance that had a certain wealth of poverty.
Such a confusion, they said, could only be American.
-
Over time, long time, their war became big; every
newspaper suddenly took sides, we fought words
for them only because they fought the Soviets. Then, 
years later, the Soviets were gone, and they'd become
the Taliban. What a fucking small world this is,
and how little did I know.

No comments: