Friday, August 15, 2014

5794. TAKING LIBERTIES

TAKING LIBERTIES
I once actually knew a girl named Liberty, long
ago lost and gone. She'd been born on the Fourth
of July and that's what her parents named her. Yes,
a real firecracker she was. It never dawned on her
that the name meant anything. I think she had a 
brother named Freedom, but I could be wrong.
-
Now, it's everything all over and different again  -  
so I'll tell you the story of Now. This is how I see
it. Sitting in a defenestrated dive-bar down on the
harbor-bottom street called Fish House Road.
The old woods around here  -   when there were 
woods  -  were all a forest of beautiful Cypress
trees. Long ago they were a gift from Japan to
the people of Jersey City or Kearney, or whatever
this hell-hole is called. Some low-speckled end of
the Jersey Meadows. It's nothing now but roadways 
and truck bays and warehouses. The sort of place they
dump dead bodies when that's convenient or necessary.
No one says a word  -  the trees are long gone, the 
pavement's taken everything over. It seems to grow as
quickly here as the weeds on that hill above Hoboken.
Over time, the land dried out too  -  from all the paving 
and roads and new drainiage pipes, and that was the 
death knell for the moisture-happy cypresses.
-
Where was I? Liberty and Freedom. Yeah, they lived along
here, along with some of my friends  -  a real cartilage crew,
rowboats and small fishing in the shit-infested waters of
Newark Bay and the Hackensack River. My one friend used
to say  -  living in the very last house at the end of some road
that led to the water (where he kept a boat tied) that people
would drive up in the half dark, back up to the water, flip open
the trunk and just throw stuff in. he'd go out the next morning,
just to see what was dumped, if it was still there; and he said
'you wouldn't never believe the shit I seen  -  people'd throw
everything you can imagine in there, and I mean everything.'
-
'I guess that the pursuit of happiness', I said, thinking of Liberty
and Freedom alike/. They never talked, or, leastways, I never
asked them what they thought about these situations. Had I
her here now with me, I sure as hell would. 'Liberty', I'd say,
'Liberty, now what do you think of all that?'

No comments: