Friday, August 15, 2014

5793. THAT HUNGRY FELLOW

THAT HUNGRY FELLOW
He's playing the high-hats in his accordion band,
claiming he needs money to eat, and to feed his dog
as well. I'll give him a dollar for nothing but if he
harms that dog his face is dead. Standing by that
Bloomingdale's glass window he'd better run
wide if he wants to hide. There a cop station
right around the corner too  -  the Subway Bar
still rots on the corner, the place where Billy
Martin used to hang out. After the Yankee games,
it is said, as a point of pride. He'd come in there
and get drunk and start bragging : east side rich
boy, baseball dragon. I remember when he died,
running that truck of his, in a drunken stupor,
off the road by Binghamton, NY. It may even
have been New Year's Eve. I forget. Somebody
else was with him. Ask them.
-
This guy is slumping on the curb, with his
sad dog sagging there next to him, looking beat
and forlorn. The dog has nothing; the guy smokes
a cigarette at eight bucks a pack. Not bad for 
a homeless brat. I don't mind, really, throwing the 
bums a dime and all that, but it's long past the time 
for any motion now : the plans are already in the 
Heavens and the scriptures written in the heart. I 
swear, if he harms the dog with his homeless 
stuff I'll take him down for my dollar.

No comments: