Tuesday, April 29, 2014

5302. SLOBBERING BEAST, UNBEARABLE FEAST

SLOBBERING BEAST, 
UNBEARABLE FEAST
My mother wore velvet and fake furs to church, while my
father preferred his plain suits. They often, together,
looked like some American Gothic in reverse  -  the
pitchfork, by the way, in either one's back. That
was my legacy, that's how I lived. Sylvia Plath
had nothing on me  -  all the 'Daddy' stuff pales
when put alongside. I burned coals in the plams
of my hands; my stigmata was the gloom of
betrayal and mirth together combined : all those
Ed Sullivan nightmares pre-dating the Beatles.
Elvis fucking Presley swiveling his hips? Only
my Aunt Adele was outraged. The hot coals
still singe my hands. My mother, I recall, was
furious one long ride home  -  because my father
had laughed at a joke my uncle told. I was eight
years old, and still remember not quite understanding
whatever the punchline was : 'My wife can't wrestle,
but you should see her box.'

No comments: