Tuesday, April 22, 2014

5277. TERMINUS OF LOCAL CONTRADICTION

TERMINUS OF LOCAL CONTRADICTION
Not knowing well where to turn, I moved myself sideways
by contraction : local memories and stevedore hats, the
old mathematics of add and divide. Every contradiction 
brought me new moment, the terminus of all things local.
-
The only midnight star in the midnight sky is the one
I may recognize as 'I'. And isn't that always the way? 
We make our agreements, with self and with others,
to stand up and band ourselves girded for something
and ready. Some neighborhood judge comes
stumbling in, asking for tickets and money. A
terminus of local contradiction.
-
'Councilman, councilman, give your gloves and 
your daughters'  -  that's the local payoff these days. 
Every hallway voice in the light green dungeon is heard 
to echo and resound. By contract, the 'just-over-minimum-
wage' painter saunters along, to dawdle his drop and
his brush. 'I be's so happy, a'jez like dis; and dey gimme'
da money t'go on.' Sounds like a breakening thrall  -  
Blake's chimney-sweep and chartered streets 
got nothing on that at all. A terminus of
local contradiction.

No comments: