Saturday, April 19, 2014

5267. I SHALL NOT CEDE A THING

I SHALL NOT 
CEDE A THING
I gird these loins as if a hurricane was coming : of heart
and sound and fury. Battening down windows and door,
latching the latchkeys wherever. I shall hide in the very
basement of my mind; where the great thoughts and
secrets are stored. One grand wind might break me, 
yet I shall not cede a thing. Remain steadfast and strong.
The toil of all this raiment is heavy enough to break a
mere mortal; but I take precautions against my failure.
-
Monkey in the zoo, monkey in the treetop; scatting sounds
up and down. I can't distinguish this fabled life from anything
lived by anyone else. If there's a fury coming, I'm ready.
-
I gird these loins like a hurricane was here already  -  twisting
and tearing, running through glass and wood panels, ripping
roofs and flinging barnyard animals. Once I see a chicken  - 
impaled but still living  -  upon a fencepost afloat and free, only
then will I know it is all too late. Too late for sound and fury.
And for sure too late for me. For the fury to come,
I'm ready.

No comments: