Tuesday, April 15, 2014

5256. LAST MERCHANTS WITHOUT IDEOLOGY

LAST MERCHANTS 
WITHOUT IDEOLOGY 
They scamper off, trying to sell air and water, trying to
turn a penny from a naught. They drink skylight from
a sponge, looking for the profit in the soaking and the
dollar in the heave. They pile up their makeshift rubble,
calling value out when nothing of value exists. Everything
is in the mind : the cleaving hand of worth, the auctioneer
of worthlessness. Get me that, sell me this. I'll support you.
-
The last merchants without ideology may all have 
disappeared, sold their souls, scampered off; they go.
In their wake, a  miserable dollar sign returns, the ideology 
of pride and falsity, the Uncle Sam of happiness. I come
 home from the fair, I hold nothing in my hands. 
I wait for something to rise up and greet me.

No comments: