Monday, April 14, 2014

5252. LONG-WINDED JESSUP

LONG-WINDED JESSUP
(two prisons)
He had Cadillac surgery, thinking it was
for his eyes. He never went home with a
wind-up toy let alone a blow-up doll; but
he never stopped talking either.  Once he
was gone, we searched and searched but 
could not find him. The local newspapers 
wrote it all up, all those Internet guys were
spinning the story. He was gone for good.
-
I knew his mother when she worked 21st Street.
She was better than the news but sadder than the
blues : both directions home. One way was awful,
the other was worse, and I never knew where
Jessup fit in  -  because only later did I realize
they'd lied. She couldn't have been his mother,
she would have had him when she was like nine.
-
I didn't really care. About that time I was bedding 
his other factor anyway  -  a sweet, young girl named
Alca Traz. That's what she said, that's what they 
called her. She said 'Yeah. This life's but a prison
anyway so what difference could it make? I like
the sound, it's got a nice ring.' It was OK 
by me, and no one ever escaped.
-
There were legends built around all this junk : he
later became a local God, and his mother a virgin
version, of Mary or Magdalene, one of those old
time queens. Jesus had his head on wrong anyway
for ever coming here. And no one ever escaped.

No comments: