Thursday, March 28, 2013

4230. DOGS CAN'T GO WHERE I FOLLOW

DOGS CAN'T GO 
WHERE I FOLLOW
Along the path that leads to the pond
I espied two names  -  the grown bark
of a forty-year-old tree held them :
Mike & Renna '82. A long time
back by now. Still the growth, both
constant and steady, having stretched
the fat and bulbous names, preserved
forever some old and fateful moment,
remembered by someone, or more, 
or maybe not at all.
-
The path bends around a few rocks,
and I follow. I'd bet the rocks themselves,
boulders actually, have been in place
some thousand years or more  -  
signifying nothing, remembering less?
A Mike & Renna of some more vast age?
When promises were made of stone,
and 'forever' was all the rage? 
No, no, I'll never know - where
I follow, dogs can't go.

No comments: