Wednesday, March 13, 2013

4185. GRAND ENTANGLEMENT

GRAND ENTANGLEMENT
A grand entanglement will take me
away and carry me far to some other
place. Old people must prepare for an
finish to this fair and foppish race.
Labor, speed, strive, design, love,
cling, uphold, give way : ah! what
a stupid litany this Life and Living is.
'Love that well which thou must
leave 'ere long.'
-
My pen is the pencil of this grieving  -
and it can be erased, but only if I try.
To these carnival-vented eyes instead
is preserved a version of fear; one elixir
of dread and doubt. Drink up this old
draft of love and money, why don't you,
and then find that woman and say to
her : 'you are mine!'
-
The voices are tired; not soft, just tired.
All that ribald chatter at the now empty
tables has gone away. A thin, weak voice,
like Billie Holiday's itself, bears no new
retelling, and I won't say. Bring me home
again to your arms. (Permit me voyages,
love, into your hands).

No comments: