Monday, March 4, 2013

4163. KINDLING, Pt. 2 (Meditation)

KINDLING, Pt 2
(Meditation)
And you shall have, you shall touch. Mankind yet
walks the water's edge  -  cooking all his flesh and
fowl and eating now his nuts and berries too. All is
new : it can be the entrance to a new and different
world, and shall be. Look now! The rain is shrieking
down upon the ancient metal, and the old world, it
passes away. And only now  -  as I see the past
stretch far behind me  -  a paraphrasing Ezra Pound
I am  -  I realize that such business, the business of
an artist here, is to make humanity aware of itself.
-
Ah! The truest Hell is to stand alone, and be alone,
and live alone, and die alone; (others say the opposite,
and I hear them grown in their lottery crowdings). The
masses, all huddled, are cramping the walkway. Instead,
yes, such a camaraderie may be a Hell as well. So little,
really does it matter now to me. I am dead of the world.
-
I smell a smoke in the air  -  but do not know from
where. And the drips of rain, I hear them chatter upon
the metal roofplate over this outdoor porch  -  a sixth
grade memory of yesteryear now branching out to
take me in. I want to inhabit that yearning, but no
I will not. My mission, instead, is in writing, and
speaking not. There are so many harbingers of
final things to come : the crooked timber of
self-interest, it is cut, and dies away.
I live in a horror of Death to come.
-
All the isolation, all the loneliness, of a desert
place. Look again, the rain is shrieking upon
ancient metal, and the old world passes away.
-
More like a schooner that heads out to sea,
more like a sun, a nothing that really is  -  I
abide you and await commingling : 'I've never
prayed much, and can't just start now.' The man
on the blanket at the corner of Grove keeps
repeating that over and over in the 100 degree
heat. I throw him a dollar and say 'repeat.'
-
My doggerel is your doctrine, though that has
happened I do not know. My own chest heaves,
even though I become tired of breathing. The sky
plays light with air; some ancient childhood game
played out on fields of love and valor.

No comments: