Thursday, March 14, 2013

4189. ALL THE DEALS AND TASKS

ALL THE DEALS
AND TASKS
The situation grows : all along the
wharfside piles of bottled beer get
emptied and somehow an empty
pile grows. These guys talk and
drink like birds pecking at bread. I
have a headache just watching.
-
Just down the ramp, where I sit about,
my Huck Finn demeanor has my feet
up, perched on a drayage wagon filthy
with straw and old tomatoes. I never
understand such rural feelings in the
middle of a large, teeming city like this.
-
Twelve bucks a day gets me going. All the
deals I can have for the picking - wristwatch,
record player, shoes or a hat. When a young
kid starts working, the eyes go blind with the
expectation. I really need a bicycle, but I
can steal one quicker than buy.
-
Now I rise up and see a noon-day sun blaring
down on me. I have ten things to do; that list
this morning was large, but it's going OK. I
see two dogs playing kettle by the leaking
hose. The water runs down the ramp, dropping
listlessly into the harbor. no one seems to
mind nor notice. Least alone me, in need
of a reason to go on to the next.

No comments: