Thursday, March 28, 2013

4225. I AM READING WALLACE STEVENS AGAIN

I AM READING
WALLACE STEVENS AGAIN
I am reading Wallace Stevens again. I have a slender,
tapered candle that burns at one end. These things all
come together for me in words and images dear. It is
so loud and so clear, and easy for me to hear.
I am reading Wallace Stevens again.
-
Becoming is not so difficult  -  it sort of just
happens to us all. Your Mom and your Dad,
fumbling beneath the covers somewhere, shoot
you off into a softened muff with pleasure.
And, then, that's pretty much the end of it  - 
the rest is somehow up to you to measure.
-
I am reading Wallace Stevens again, this
palm at the end of mind, this man with a blue
guitar, this bird with the coppery, keen
claws, this comedian as the letter C. I have
a slender, tapered candle that burns at one
end; I am reading Wallace Stevens again.
-
I find I have very little to say in crowds : all
that nasty, mangled language; those little people
loud, those big people, proud. I have little to say
in a crowd. The noise I always shun. Loneliness in 
Jersey City, the deer and the dachshund are one.

No comments: