Tuesday, March 5, 2013

4164. MEDITATION Pt. 3 (Connectedness)

KINDLING, Pt. 3
(Connectedness)
The connectedness of all your tissue makes you
live and keeps you running  -  though one thing
is not a thought, the many are. I may serve the slide,
but always  -  out on my horizon  -  the slide's end
awaits. Sensitive hands and a feral heart, that's
always been me. How then, and why, alive? I would
not tell even if I knew, but I sincerely don't. The bread
is rising and it bakes in the oven. The bricklayer is
placing his bricks, and the structure rises.
-
In the evening, boys are parking their cars like
payloads at a launch - things that go, things to travel;
music and a lunchbox, cards and a cue. I may want
to enter on the landing, but I have neither reason nor
ride. We somehow share a place and a planet, and
really that is all. A life like this was no choice of mine.
-
I have taken a wife and run off to someone's wedding;
now isn't that confusing as well? We wait at the village
stream, while some idle woman talks on with her hands,
gesturing here and there in a perfect, sleeveless dress. There
are noises and voices all around; in a place like this
the sun never sets. The red wine is flowing in fountains.
-
The connectedness of all this tissue makes us human  -
we talk, and we too gesture, back and forth. We move
messages and wishes that scatter like the crumbs of a
cake. One thing is not a thought, though the many are -
we mutter 'I love you' and we leave in a car. Mobility
has always been Mankind's dream. Like society with
all its connections unhinged, the major flattery just
goes on : 'How are you?' Or is it better I should ask,
'Who are you?' Either way, the question sticks.
-
Now listen loved one, gleamed pillar of flesh and
desire: all that ever was can be, and is. You have it
all within you. That twitching subject, wounded in the
street, within a pool of blood? I was certain that was me.
Now I am not sure at all. Am I not, instead, the man
becalmed, who will stand where he has ever stood?

No comments: