Sunday, March 17, 2013

4193. ONLY CIVILIZED PORTRAITURE

ONLY CIVILIZED
PORTRAITURE
Only civilized portraiture will end this torture -
something wherein every line and shadow is
perfect and right. Like an ideal, in the best of
times, to which men ascribe blind wishes and
all good intentions. There is an easel on the
hardwood floor, set up to hold this canvas. I
go to it, steady, to find my own center.
-
Only civilized portraiture will end this torture -
something too aggrieved to mourn for, something
too mournful to consider. I have all the happenstance
of both shadow and light, each thing I shall need for
this perfection. Like that crazy Russian girl I remember
screaming at me on Atlantic Avenue for money in her
head : too bold for me to give any care back to. I did
simply walk on, away from her onslaught of noise.
-
Only civilized portraiture will end this torture -
The means never justify the ends, all dead dogs
come home to roost, the beavers are out of their
kennels, and the chickens are all howling at their moon.

No comments: