Tuesday, October 25, 2022

15,726. WATCHTOWER

WATCHTOWER
Long back ago, about '78,
I walked the Hart Crane 
streets of Brooklyn Heights
with my friend Paul. He's
dead now, long ago too.
-
His missed-logic was
impeccable in his poetic
way. One night, we were
freezing cold, and he pointed
ahead and said, 'I'm so cold I
could eat that dog.'
-
The Brooklyn Heights Promenade
was up ahead, and, after walking
the bridge from Manhattan at 2am,
we edged over to the dark and old:
Where 'The Watchtower' building
was  -  those Jehovah Witness guys
and their printing plant for their
magazine.
-
Some lady walked by, in the lit
distance, walking her dog  -  that's
when he said that, and I asked 'What
do you mean?' And, yes, we were so
shot that we began discussing the
eating of dogs.
-
It turned out, he'd not meant to say he
liked eating dogs, but in this case was
saying that the supplanted heat and the
energy from that one dog would do a
lot to warm him up. I guess he meant
himself, because he hadn't mentioned
me, nor even asked if I liked eating dogs.
Really makes you wonder, no?


No comments: