Tuesday, October 18, 2022

15,712. CAN YOU BE THERE FOR ME?

CAN YOU BE THERE FOR ME? 
The candy store now sells lottery
tickets; the small places where cars
park are also spots-by-chance. I
guess the entire world now goes 
by luck. Anywhere I look, it see
people in the grotto. Talking about
their Lotto! My friend George buys
scratch-offs by the dozen. I know,
because I drive him here  -  some
of these tickets are 30 bucks a pop!
-
You lose before you even start to win
So I tell him, 'George, we have a better
chance of that tree over there falling
on us as we pass beneath it than you
do with those tickets  -  didja' ever
figure that? He says yeah, but it
only takes one.
-
I can accept such thinking. The very last 
heartbeat of anyone  -  person or animal -
is the one that only takes one. To stop.
So, I mind my business and just drive
along. I'm not an Uber guy, but George,
who's without a car, pays me to drive him
on errands. We do hardware stores and
Walmarts, liquor stores and supermarkets,
and, at the end of each, always that favored
Lotto stop!

No comments: