Thursday, October 13, 2022

15,691. THE DESIGNATED RAMBLER, #1

THE DESIGNATED RAMBLER
Not fun, just jagged. Not smooth,
just rough. That could be me in a
nutshell. If I dwelt in nutshells,
but I don't. The car that brought me 
here was some ambulance-chaser's
black sedan and it ended up in the
same ditch I did - plastered by a
train on Rahway Ave. How's this?
I exclaimed, and what the heck's
going down? I'm eight years old
and you've got me done, already
pushing me into the ground?'
-
There was a lot of silence after that.
No one seemed willing to talk. Steve
Meszaros had to drive to tell my father
what just happened. He'd been in the
car behind us, oddly enough. First Aid
Squad buddies too. That must have
been one hell of a trip. The preacher
guy came by, onto the scene, and gave
me last rights. I never knew I had any
rights, and already I'm at my last? I'm
eight years old and you've got me down,
already in the past?
-
Last thing I remember was noise : a curling,
bashing, metallic sound. The '53 Ford went 
over and round. No body screamed because
nobody could. My mother got out OK. Her
part of the car stayed right there, while I
went 200 feet down the tracks with the
train, for the sleighride of my life. In a
manner of speaking, I was dead and gone,
until they tried to pull me out from under
the old metal dashboard. I made a noise.
They stopped their chore! It was 1958,
remember, on a cold snowy February 
day. A moan was all I could come up
with. I had nothing more to say. That
priest gave it up and went home.
The designated rambler was
still alive and set to roam.

No comments: