Friday, December 6, 2019

12,356. RUDIMENTS, pt. 891

RUDIMENTS, pt. 891
(we better be right too)
Sometime around 1958  -  and I'm
not sure of the date because my
time-frame around that period is
all screwed up from the train 
wreck; coma-time, and all that.
When I came back to life it was
like Year One all over again, and
my sense of timing and pacing all
had to be re-learned, plus the most
simple factors of where I was and
what year it was. None of that
really mattered for me any more. 
Yes, I'm serious, and if you don't
believe me, try it some year.
So, sometime around 1958, my
aunt and uncle bought a house
in Colonia, a neighboring town
6 miles or so over. There was
some old farmland along old
Colonia's Inman Avenue, just
before Wood Ave, and the usual
developers and real estate fat
cats sacrificed it all for about 
10,500 (that's joke  -  but if
they could have they would
have; land-crooks always being
what they are) new 1958
version 'Split-levels.' The
entire idea of a split-level home
already anguished me and if you
see them now, 60 years later,
you can see why  -  they're ugly,
most people transform them
completely, the insides are
ridiculous, and that housing
format is the most atrocious
'look' when there are 10,500
of them all in a row. There's
another later development
near there too, same style 
houses, but different'choices' 
of finish. They're funny because
they're all the same, as built,
but buyers could choose, in
those rows, which of the 3 
'sequenced' designs they wished.
Which was stupid and bogus
because all it amounted to is a
choice of front-doorway and
entry facing to the left, or the
right, or at center. A real joke,
but it represented the way those
scabrous real-estate interests
viewed their customers : As
'morons' who buy houses.
-
Anyway, one of the most 
startling things that I can 
recall took place there. They,
meaning my aunt and uncle,
had like a back-room den
place, with bench seating 
along the walls, and cool 
swords and guns and rifles :
Stuff hanging on the walls  -
all Japanese military and 
wartime items from WWII
that my uncle had saved or
salvaged and somehow had
it all brought back here as he
mustered out. War Booty, I 
guess. (War booty, actually,
sounds more like one of those
'Comfort Ladies' they used
to have for soldiers). Can you
believe that, and the world
and the people we came out 
of? They do all that wartime
crap, and then they come home
victorious and start wrecking
their own homeland in their
ignorance.....with rows of
split levels and calling it
'saved!' Sure beats me.
-
But, anyway, in this den one
day, we're sitting around, as
kids,(maybe 4 or 5 of us), and
my uncle brings out this thing
I'd never seen before. Evidently
some of the adults had not either,
because everyone crowded around 
it. Totally strange, about the size
maybe of a big Christmas present
box or something. It was the first
time I'd ever seen anything like
it  -  a reel-to-reel tape recorder,
and my uncle had the microphone
thing we all talked into and then
all got to hear the playback. I
tell you now, when I heard the
feedback of my own  voice, I
was flabbergasted. I was outside
of myself, in ways heretofore
unknown to me. The weird
thing, which was a sensation
I couldn't place or fathom,
was that the 'voice' I knew
WAS mine, yet the only proof 
I had was that I knew what I'd
just said. Other than that, the
sensation was 'how did I know
that was me?' I had never been
outside of myself like that; this
whole thing was too odd for me
to maintain; I understood, or
thought I did, about presence and
self and all but, for a young kid,
threw a whole existential wrench
into my mix. 'I think therefore
I am,' that was one thing, but
even Descartes was bested with
this almost creepy outside being.
'I hear myself, therefore I am?'
Could that possibly stand as
proof of Selfhood? Being?
Real Life?
-
Such a sensation only happens
once to a person. Once it's 
experienced, it's never again 
experienced as new. I almost
felt kinship with those primitives
who once disliked photography
because it took their soul. We
laugh, yes, but damn we better
be right too. Hearing my own
voice like that for the first time
was a defining moment. Just
listening to the voice, as 'me',
the speaker of it, but not then
speaking it, I was somehow able 
to conjure up an image of the
speaker, who was, of course, the
very 'me' of me. The one who I
knew what I was  -  was able to 
stay with  characterization of who
that voice was; namely me. It was
all very circular and self-serving,
and I got confused. I want to say
that I also got alarmed, but I
didn't really. I was able to remain
calm, and intent on getting to
the bottom of what I'd heard.
I knew (or thought I did) how
I sounded and what I spoke, but
I'd never before actually 'heard'
it. This was weird. My sense of
character had come to life? Ir maybe
been 'captured' into life? I sounded
grayer, and more gravelly, than
I'd have thought, The 'tone' too
was smoother, even with the
gravel, and more dulcet, almost
inviting or engaging. It was all
very strange, and certainly gave
me a moment's start, about myself.
The old 'crisis moment of self
identity' had come and hit me
broadside. Funny now, how we
all think nothing of it and kids are
brought up 'within the sound of'
their own voices, never even
thinking of it. It makes me think
of the way the old-time radio
pitchman of those 1950's days
used to say, as well, for their
product, 'If you are within the
sound of my voice, this special
offer can be yours today! But
only if you act now!'
-
What a lost philosophy that 
turned out to be. Act now?
Now people do nothing
about nothing. (Or is that
'nothing about everything?')....




No comments: