Saturday, December 7, 2019

12,360. RUDIMENTS, pt. 892

RUDIMENTS, pt. 892
(don't call me, I'll call you...)
The way I have found it
is that all things can be
taken apart, broken down
to their smallest components,
inspected carefully, and
then reconstructed, more
clearly. Within such an
intense and detailed look,
every item, of course, then
appears absurd, as small things
and taken-apart things, do. A
part of our human make-up,
built into it, is that we are
able not to focus on that  -
we breath and blink without
being aware of it, as we, in
addition, process and digest
without any awareness. We
are 'made for other things,'
and the body carries past
all that  -  thankfully  -  as
we go about our other tasks.
I think that's what we get
judged for (those 'other'
things), and how are lives
are balanced at the point of
Death  -  was over the centuries
called a hundred different
things : Was I moral? Was
I kind and generous? Did I
present meaning to others?
Did I harm others? Have I
been useful? Etc., etc. The
religion books are full of
this stuff   -  the philosophies
of morality or sentimentality
or indoctrination or fate.
We do NOT, on the other
hand, get judged by how
well we processed food, or
sweated, or exercised, or
breathed. That's all done
for us, automatically, so that
we can go on and, supposedly,
do those other 'good' and right
things, by which we will stand
or fall....for the future? Then
there must be one? A full,
after-time future for us? Or
for what anyway? If it just
ended here could it at all
have been worth it? Oddly
enough, just by looking
around you  -  cemeteries
everywhere   -  we live with
the dead too, without noticing
that fact. I guess that's a good
thing as well. You have to
think, really, that's pretty
weird. I bet if you or I were
designing the world we'd never
have given a consideration of
having the living walking and
picking everywhere over the
marble stumps of the dead.
-
I used to wonder why was I
so 'afraid' of slavery, as I'd put
it. I wasn't actually, and it had
never really been in issue, in
fact the entire concept was
absurd, but it became nonetheless
a mental exercise. I never even
knew which form of 'slavery' I
was thinking about. There were
so many to choose from. All
those different ways of personal
enslavement, whether by
weddings (as seen from all
the 'parents' I knew), allegiances,
groups, corporations, etc. None
of it was, in reality, 'Slave'
quality material. God should
forbid my innocent soul at that
point even getting involved
in such hideous adventure. It
wasn't until many years later,
and long after this tape-recorder
unveiling scene in my uncles
Jap-war military den, that I'd
begin realizing the traffic on
Route One in Linden, all those
shift-change cars pouring out
in industrial-wage-slavery
pretty represented the only
form of 'slavery' we'd ever see.
And all those GM guys seemed
pretty happy  -  they had their
cars, families, houses. Vacation
stickers on many of the rear
windows attested to the fact
that 'See the USA in your
Chevrolet' worked as a tactic.
It was only a matter of American
time before there was a 'Get n' Go'
Market on every other corner.
-
Arundhati Roy wrote a book,
some decade or three back,
called 'The God of Small
Things.' I always figured
that to be one of the best
titles ever. The book itself
is at best 'tedious'  -  one of
those old-style narratives
dense with family, and
connections and all those
overlapping relationships
with meaning and lessons
thrown in. The sort of
saga and story that can only
really have importance to
someone still enmeshed
within traditional culture
and old-style rankings and
caste. Mentally anyway. 
That's a slavery too, coming
now to think of it. I was long
past all that and always have
found those sorts of explanatory
expositions with their 'new'
light and solutions for old and
archaic stupidities not to my
interest. For some, however,
it's a bright light and a key for
the way out. (Note to self:
There is no way out).
-
When I lived in NYC, the best
way around things was to slouch,
and hunker. In my case anyway.
I felt I was in it for the long haul,
in the highly-pressurized midst
some real pincers that I had to
be sure kept missing me. It
was a form of noir living after
a while : Shadows and lines
around every corner. I had
to determine what was moving
and what was not, and if it was
moving was it headed my way?
I was determined, in whichever
way I could, to remain outside
of the mainstream of common
things. In retrospect, perhaps,
it all now comes across as wan
stupidity, but back then I was
hot about things; not cool in any
way. Those were big words back
then  -  mid or late 60's. Now it
doesn't much matter, but in the
time I'm wrting off the simple
street distinction was vital.
There's a  difference
there  - commitment wise,
reaction-wise, and activity and
attention wise too. Because
of it all, what might have
ever come my way, if anything,
sailed right past me, because
I was 'preoccupied.' Now I'm so
'cool,' I'm dead, and everything
has just moved on by : Don't
call me, I'll call you....







No comments: