Friday, December 27, 2019

12,418. RUDIMENTS, pt. 914

RUDIMENTS, pt. 914
(my catcher in the rye moment)
I was never too certain of
anything, or I was certain of
uncertainty, if you like it put
better that way. Most of my
chances were missed slow-lobs,
that probably should have been
caught easily, or with the least
bit of stretch. But they weren't,
and I let them all go by me. End
result is me. There are, however,
one or two great things about me,
and that's how I feel; sorry.
-
The first being all this writing;
which I feel is a real steady and
professional-like, nicely done,
pile of work. The whole thing
together, which I consider as one
- prose, poetry, artwork, photos,
and drawings.  I stand accountable
for all of it, and proudly too. The
other thing -  and this takes a
little going into  -  is as follows:
I had a friend, dead now (I say
that way too much) with whom
my literary discussions often
circled about his premise (a
vacuous one? Meaningless?
Unimportant?), that, in writing,
no one had ever come up with
the equivalent of abstract art;
abstract-expressionist NY
school kind of Art is what
he meant. We used to discuss
this, often enough  -  I fronted
for Dos Passos, as sort of
having approached that, and
Celine too. And then, funny
enough, we'd realized that each
of those guys, whom I was
using to make a case, pre-dated
the case I was making! Which
was a riot, no?
-
Anyway, truth be told  -  as I
said, he's dead, long gone now,
just another self-inflicted one  -
and I stand alone. Alone here
saying, 'I've done it.' Not caring
who agrees with me either. I
have, in these pages, done exactly
that  -  come up with a manner of
an abstract-painting but with
words, as incontrovertibly weird
as that all may sound. Any section
here can be examined, and with
care, for its own lead and theme,
it own direction, tine, color, and
swirl. Heading here. Heading
there, with its own little huntings
of what's perhaps, meant and
where it's, perhaps, to lead you.
If you're looking for a vase, or
a landscape, or a pile of fruit,
or even an ace and a rose, you'll
not find it. It stands. Thank you.
-
So, it's late '67, deep and Wintry.
The Hungarian girl starts talking.
I did not know her, we hit it off,
mainly probably because I listened.
Most people don't. She was, maybe
28, maybe 30; I don't know, and
was not good with ages. (Actually,
now I'm very good, and can almost
with precision guess a person's age,
maybe within a year either way.
Fear not; I'm not leading you by
the nose on another discursive
ambulade. This is true  -  I think
it has to do with being 'old' now
myself. People younger than me
suddenly seem so simple to read.
Everything about them is quite
obvious. It used to be that people
kept themselves hid; now most
things are so shallow that it's all
open and all over the place too.
Along with the face, you can just
tell from what people have come
out of, to get their ages pretty
close. I ought to be one of those
circus midway (is that correct?)
guys, guessing people's ages).
-
In any case (I wonder how that
means, and how it got started?),
she says she left Hungary as a
kid  -  rushed out with her parents
as the Hungarian Revolution started
breaking around them. She stared
dropping a lot of names : Bela Szasz,
Ervo Giro, Andra Hegedus. People
with those cool Hungarian names
I'd never even heard of (but wrote
down). She was a Rajik, herself.
Part of the larger Rajik family  -
her uncle had been killed, early
on. And they fled. It was difficult
mostly, to follow or fathom. The
Hungarian Revolution, what of it
there was, was never very clear to
me and seemed mostly to be about
betrayal. by the United States too.
A kind of do-nothing betrayal
anyway. It was one of those sticking
points about why I disliked America  -
which is weird because she liked it
very much, and claimed it for her
and her family's salvation. Also,
I would have thought, in ten years,
she'd have had a better English, but
I guess not. 'We got here on a late
night. To a place then called Kilmer. In
the farm-woods of New Jersey. It was,
to say, a campment? Encampment
of refugees, flooding in we were,
one after the other too. For weeks,
and we stayed. With the food brought,
each time, in wagons and carts. They
set us well, cared. We followed the
newses, and the fathers sometimes
would go  -  mostly to New York,
to see what work there could be.
And to where. My own father, he
worked metals there, in Hungary.
And in New York we moved  - he
got work in a foundry in Queens.
We lived on 24th street and then
later moved to Bensonhurst, and
then again later, back to e19th.
Where I did like best. It was good,
America, as I grew. Friendly.
Like promised lands, always.
The Kilmer stayed yet open,
and many people transferred
from there to where I was,
growing. I liked it. And
now too. You?'
-
She was quite direct, and it was
stirring. I'd never been in such
company quite before, and was
not sure what I was feeling,
Maybe the arousal of a young
man, whatever. I'd felt that
before, and it seemed here
familiar, though I couldn't tell
her that. Something about her
was driving me, that much I
knew, and  -  right away  -
because of my upbringing, I
wanted to apologize. Probably
any other, regular, American
guy would have already been
thinking how to bed her, and
made some moves. but I wasn't
like that. I was scared shitless,
which has always been my
manner anyway. So I wanted
to keep it quite ordinary, and
simple. I said, with a shrug,
'Aw, nothing, I'm just a student
over there at the Studio School,
biding time mostly, art and stuff.'
She almost scoffed. 'Art. What
is Art? Why you even bother.
All you Americans, you should
be making things more. Not
'art'. The world has too much
already. Look at wars. Death.
What has art ever done for
that? Except make picture
of it? I am so disgusted of that.
You think the world needs more
paintings? How will that solve
problems, or feed people?
Art? You know?' I didn't
really want to go past this
point, but just said, 'Well,
it's not my point to be your
catcher in the rye, if you follow. 
I gave up worrying about the
rest of the world, in fact, just
last week.' I hadn't really, but
found I just blurted that out,
probably with the idea of getting
her ire up. I always hated  -  and
still do  -  people seeking defined
reasons for doing creative things,
as if it something doesn't put
food in the mouths of needy
babies or something it's just
no good. I really didn't know
what else to say, and she got
up and left, with, at least,
a good-bye.

No comments: