Wednesday, December 25, 2019

12,412. RUDIMENTS, pt. 911

RUDIMENTS, pt. 911
(for this we left Holland?)
Sometimes I used to hear
the phrase, 'He didn't know
his own strength.' In the
context of whatever, I can
recall hearing it and  -  as
it turned out  -  I found I
never knew my own
weaknesses, which I think
is a lot worse. I was often
darting around in waters
that were untested for me;
maybe too deep or maybe
over my head. But unlike a
fool and his money, which
the saying said were soon
parted, I managed to hold
on  -  until I didn't. Were I
a stage instruction in some
playwright's scene, it would
read ('seen scurrying off,
stealthily, stage left...).
-
My own fit, within my own
time, the time I was in, never
meshed very well. I managed,
yes, but always without any
comfort. Henry Adams, the
great-grandson of John Adams,
and the grand-son of John Quincy
Adams, wrote a number of nice
books; the foremost for me being
'The Education of Henry Adams.'
I pored over that, for many times
and for varied reasons : it was
a learned and aware world-view
I really wanted to know of.
It was like a displacement of
time, rolling one bit over the
other, and it really worked for
me. Kind of contemporary with
Mark Twain as well  - I was, by
this book, presented with a
completely different outlook
and viewpoint of the world
around me. It fit NYC, and
it fit Elmira too. One far more
beleaguered than the other,
back then, and neither being
the City of Boston or the Town
of Quincy, Mass. for contrasting.
It was all a glance through a
different set of windows, into
some other guy's house and
living arrangements, for sure.
-
There are contexts everywhere,
and they are different everywhere.
Something that means one thing
in one place may have an entire
other meaning in another. Henry
Adams starts out, oddly enough,
as an interesting opening point,
with the idea that to 'see' mankind
as a whole and as a force, one
must choose a fixed point from
the past by which to measure
any comparison. Fair enough,
picking  fixed place to start
from. What was weird, based
on interests and references, was
that I chose like, maybe 1900,
or a little before, for the exercise,
yet  - with his old learning and
expertise of things, he, born in
1838, goes back to much older
things  -  the years 1150 - 1250;
Amiens Cathedral, and the
works of Thomas Aquinas. 'As
the unit from which to measure
the motion own to his own time,
without assuming anything as
true, or untrue, except relation.'
He called politics, which mostly
'ran' in his family, 'the systematic
organization of hatreds.' In the
same way, I have always viewed
politics as a pollution, spewed
forth as filth from those who
would pollute, despoil, and
otherwise ruin our world. With
their hatreds, so I guess it fits.
Or, as I heard once, about
living itself  - 'going through
time? It's all you can really do;
don't know much else about it
 -    like asking a drunk, 'How'd
you become a drunk?'
-
He wrote this entire life, of
himself, in the third person.
Which at first is completely
unsettling, or maybe confusing,
(I kept thinking a narrator was
'telling' this story to me). Back
in the 1980's, The New York
Times had a columnist, John
Leonard, as I recall, with a
column called 'Metropolitan
Life' or something close to
that   - and he too always wrote
in the third person. In the same
way, it was odd, and distancing.
['He once again passed the
bagel ship at the corner of 81st,
and he noted, as he passed, that
strange blue light, always on,
above the second-landing
doorway. He wondered what
it meant']. The 'he' here
being the 'I' of the omniscient
narrator. So why bother?
-
The little things, the cultural
markers like that, always stay 
with me. Maybe they were
deemed inconsequential at the
time, but they lingered, as an
echo in the mind, and through
persistence earned some status.
I always liked balancing the
past against the present, but
was never able to decide  -  
had I the power to do so  - 
where I'd want to come 
back to, what decade or 
era, if I had that opportunity. 
It hardly matters, because I 
never got clear with myself if
I'd enter it with my awareness
of the present (now) as the 
future (then) intact, or just
be ignorant of all that and 
stumble. How do explain to
a 17th century Pilgrim what
in the world 'Alexa' or 'Cortana'
is, saying with 'I can better 
help you if you'd tell me 
what it is you want.' They'd
probably mumble....'Huh?
For this we left Holland?'
-
I'd always figure there's a means
of getting to the point where that
position of viewing one's own
self as a 'third person' becomes
operable. Detachment being, on
the whole,  good thing  -  or being
seen as such anyway. Putting  value
on that is another story. There
have been lots of madmen over
the centuries who have been
SO detached from themselves
that they never even realized how
mad whatever they were doing
actually was. We paid the price,
and we. as a masse, had to pick
up, always, the pieces.

No comments: