Thursday, December 26, 2019

12,416. RUDIMENTS, pt. 913

RUDIMENTS, pt. 913
('don't tell your mother, ok?') pt.1
'You know how to feel, it
is, how you say, too cold
to comfort?' The girl was
from Hungary or somewhere;
she'd told me but I instantly
let it go by me, getting
lost in the way she talked
and spoke spun the language.
I was fascinated at the jumble.
We were sitting at a Twin Donuts.
I forget the name of the street,(I
looked it up -south side of W11th
and Greenwich and Seventh Aves).
right by St. Vincent's Hospital.
Mostly, the street's gone now
and so is St. Vincent's. It's all
sold and turned over into condos
and fancier places. This is 1978
I'm talking of here, so there's
really nothing now left; not
even a remnant. Forty some
years, in a place like NYC,
is about 15 lifetimes. The
bookstore was an old and
rickety one, again nothing
like today. It was a bookstore,
not an amusement park. it
was old and dusty, woody,
dark, cloistered and haphazardly
set up, like the old 12th Street
Bookshop used to be. Little
cubbies and turn-ins where
you never knew what you'd
find. People slouched or leaned,
and poured over the books. In
Winters, they were always pretty
warm, in Summer, often hot.
It wasn't a big business, like
today, and seldom did anyone
bring in food or liquids. Rare.
St. Vincent's had a waiting
room one could get at along
12th, and for bathroom use,
it was always right, no questions.
(Remember too, a different world
back then, entirely. No entry gates,
no security, no pass-cards and codes;
the whole gum-cracky world was
simple and dark and plain. And I
took to it much better).
-
Twin Donuts used to be around
in a lot of places  -  a real trip, they
were. Sort of double-faced counters,
where the people across from you
were close enough for contact but
not annoying, as the waiter service
or attendant I guess  -  there were
certainly no waiters  - each manned
a flank or a bay; whatever it was
called. Donuts and coffee, mainly,
and then all that other junk of old
crusty pies and whatever else was
sold with coffee. I forget, because
I never had any money anyway.
Many times, my friend Paul and
I haunted these places  -  he was
always going on about something,
some fine point of literary
minutia, and he'd eventually also
end up angry about something  -
the black guy's leer at him, from
across the counter; the way the
counter-person cleans with the rag,
right by where your eating; the
lighting; the noise level; whatever.
It was much like a game anyway;
my whole life at that point was
like a game  -  of chance? Of pool?
With all the pockets sewn shut?
-
My life right then, in fact, carried
its own menu of problems, but as
I compare it to today, it was a heck
of a lot simpler, and more pleasant.
All this computer hack stuff, waiting
for lame downloads, commands, and
uploads and all that; the loss of files,
the hidden files all of a sudden
super-hidden; none of that crap
existed. My biggest woe was, maybe,
a dry typewriter ribbon, or not
having sex for 16 days (I'm
generalizing), or having 37 cents
left in my pocket and no idea what
to do. Paul used to take care of
some old guy, for money, up in
the west 80's  -  he hated that
chore too, a few times a week,
cleaning house, dishes, and stuff,
but only a little, since the hire
was more for a companion
and someone to listen to the
old, housebound man; and
the guy always wanted to have
classical music playing on
his record player. Mendelssohn.
Paul hated Mendelssohn. But,
it paid. I always liked the name
-  'Felix' Mendelssohn -  it was
pretty cool, even though I never
got how to spell Mendelssohn.
Now I just use Spell-Check. It's
funny, but there's a store chain
around here called Quick-Chek,
and they always have that Chek
mis-spelling, even though they
spell 'Quick' the right way. I
often wonder if that drives
Spell-Check crazy, or how they
accommodate stuff like that.
Or is it Spell-Chek?
-
Mendelssohn was composing
big time music when he was
like 12 or 13. That used to
drive Paul crazy too; he
somehow begrudged the
kid, for whatever, plus he
never liked the music.
Mendelssohn was born
Jewish, but maybe converted
out later on. I forget, but all
that bugged Paul too. It never
bothered me any, and one of
 his creations I really liked. I
think it's called 'Calm Sea,
Prosperous Voyage.' I thought
that was pretty cool. I liked the
title, and it was a real nice piece
of music too. Mendelssohn had
a sister too, who composed music
and got famous too. That used
to really get him going. Paul  -
you may remember from earlier
chapters, is the guy who had
told me, at my reaching 30  -
that, if he wasn't famous by age
30, he was going to kill himself.
Well, anyway, he's dead now,
yes, but not from that. In fact  -
another weird matter entirely  -
some of Fanny's (the sister)
music was published under 
her brother's name. I used to
argue with Paul, or discuss
anyway, (I'd 'posit,' was the
word) how in the world a
person could get 'famous' in
the 1830's, with no media and
only through published, and never
recorded, music. We'd go on for
an hour or so, usually in some
doggy-palace like a Twin Donuts.
Another funny story that I always
remember was one night, summer,
nice weather, I was dropping some
printing proofs off to someone
uptown I'd been dealing with and,
from Avenel, I drove in with my
father and mother and my wife,
Kathy. My mother and Kathy went
looking at shops and things, walking
Fifth, etc., and we'd arranged a
meeting time like 9:30 or something,
at a Twin Donuts location I knew,
maybe Lexington and 60th,
something like that. We got done,
my father and I and ended up early
by about 20 minutes at the Twin
Donuts place; sitting there, coffee,
etc., watching the sights. It was
funny; my father was getting all
nutso over the 'attractive' girls
coming and going, loitering and
doing their faces and all. To him
their attractiveness was in the
scantiness and outlandishness of
their clothes. I eventually had to
just say, 'Dad, dad, easy, They're
hookers, all. This is where they
hang between times, taking a
break. Get it?' He clammed up,
and said, "Oh! Don't tell your
mother, OK?'
--
(pt. 2, next; back to the Hungarian girl)


No comments: