Wednesday, December 25, 2019

12,411. LAND AHOY

LAND AHOY
(the whole ship of memory was found,
with none alive, and run aground)
I see something; and those are
limbs floating by. Did you bring
a tree and break it? No! It will
soon be land, I know! See, yon
colors, green horizon the the
browns of coastal hills! Go,
count the log book again, tell
me how long it's been  -  across
these brutal waves and water;
only potatoes and some sea-tack
to eat, water near gone. No more
sale meat for me! What, you say?
Forty-seven Sundays? Are you
sure you've kept those blasted
records straight, it all seemed
like a hundred more to me! 
-
Oh, let me settle down. Yes. First
was first, they said, to pray the
Virgin Queen's allegiance first.
What then shall be be? Virginia
seems just apt and fitting though
hardly enough for me! We're
closer now than ever. Look!
Look! Native men, in a cutout?
Coming this way? How and why?
What shall I saw. Look, look,
they are flinging spikes, and 
arrows come out way! Ouue!
AAh! Ahoy there, I am hit,
I am....Ugh! Ow! No!....

No comments: