Saturday, December 28, 2019

12,420. RUDIMENTS, pt. 915

RUDIMENTS, pt. 915
('I figured that to find out')
One thing that fascinates me,
even if it bears no repeating
and is fairly meaningless, is 
how, upon reflection, I see that
the Civil War was fought before
the world had any inkling of the
Theory of Evolution, Darwin,
etc., none of which really 'broke'
until 1867. You make what you
will of a fact like that, but to me
it speaks importantly of the idea
of Humanity and placement.
-
A complete slaughter, of a
million boys and men, fields
covered with carnage, much of
it comprised of indeterminate
battles and ends. Was it fought
over mercantile issues? Human
issues? Slavery? Equality? 
Regionalisms? States' Rights?
Where to go with any of this  -
men fighting and killing like...
like apes! Crazed monkeys!
Barbarians clubbing each other
to death. And then just a few
years later, the theory of Evolution
if published and spread  -  and
all of the concepts we'd once 
know become of arguable
cause.
-
I just wondered what was in a
guy's head  -  in a before and after
sense. Those who survived it all,
what did they think of all that?
One hears a lot of things about
primitive, old, American life,
but nothing really addresses
how it all was in terms of violence
or the readiness to do violence
over concepts, or assumed
infractions of some code. 
Satirically, I guess, Mark Twain
played it off well in his tale
of the Grangerfords and the 
Sheperdsons. Its basis is
feud and violence, and in those
22 pages (Chapter 17 and 18)
he covers it pretty darn well. I
just wonder the prevalence of
that sort of thought. I bet old
America was a rough and ready
place, of the sort you've not
seen. And the referents to all
of that 'American' spirit stuff
we supposedly live by were
or are all of that long ago era.
They actually bear little or
no connection to what we 
live today. I first noticed that
when I moved to New York
City. I began frequenting a
lot of the locations I'd be
reading about, and I quickly
realized  -  that's all gone.
From Five Points and the 
Collect Pond, to St. John's
Woods, to Richmond Hill,
to old Minetta, and the
Potter's Field and burials
at what is now Washington
Square Park. All that's left
is trace, myth, and history.
But, infused in all of that,
with pigs running freely
through the muddied streets,
occasional hangings, set-fires,
murders and intrigues, are the
Declaration, the Constitution, 
the points, ideals and freedoms
written into 'America.' That
all died in those Jay Gould,
President Grant, post Civil
War decades of cornered
gold markets, Erie Railroad
scandals, banking and species
crises. It's all no wonder it
all went to hell.
-
How can you have a carry-over
culture that pays lip service to
old precepts but betrays them,
nay, discards them, at every
step along the way? Just alone,
philosophically, it's a tedious 
dead-end, a romp of idiot people
seeking essences  -  the thematic
matter of 'style.' The themed
restaurants and playlands that
abound. People judging cultures
and worldviews by the corporate,
poisoned, drivel they're fed at
fake Italian, fake Chinese, and
fake Spanish, restaurants  -  to
just pick three. The seats of
which get filled by ignoramuses
with no allegiance to any higher
purpose except the burp and fart
of filling up on trash and then
paying for it. For this men and
boys died, and were gored and
pierced and shredded, in rural,
bucolic fields, left in pools of 
red, running blood draining
from bloated, broken corpses
for who knows why? So Chef
Papakadouri can serve you
re-heated, frozen entries 
trucked in from corporate, 
on trucks over roadways 
where these fields used to be?
None of this can possibly
be worth it.
-
Last chapter, you may recall,
I told that Hungarian girl I wasn't
her catcher in the rye. Her reply?
Before leaving, one of the things
she had said, oddly, was: 'Until
now, no, yes, I never have any
experience of glamorous sex. I
figured that to find out. I came
out to be a sample of what it
was all about.' That about sums
up, for me, this whole stance :
a world of unending surprise,
yet one, at every turn filled
with an almost ritualistic sadness
for me  -  lost glory, lost hurts,
lost opportunities, and only a
long, lingering, 'overdue-at-the
library-return-desk' feeling in 
my soul. I never want to go.
But I do too, just as much.
Maybe I just should have
been a monkey. 

No comments: