Wednesday, September 12, 2018

11,150. RUDIMENTS, pt. 437

RUDIMENTS, pt. 437
(avenel as dublin again)
I don't know what anyone
else reads, or if anyone reads
anything at all, but, reading
Hugh Kenner (from 1966,
'Dublin's Joyce'), I was struck
by this similarity, once again.
People ask me, writing in,
why  -  with the sorts of
Avenel critical things I put
in my pieces sometimes  -
I came back here, why I
write about it, and  -  yes  -
of course, why I don't move
away. How did it used to be
said? 'Been there, done that.'
Read this; the same situation,
in its way, of James Joyce
with his Dublin : "In the
reconceived [version of]
'Portrait of the Artist,' Joyce
abandoned the original intention
of writing the account of his
own escape from Dublin. One
cannot escape one's Dublin.
He recast Stephen Dedalus
[the main character] as a figure
who could not even detach
himself from Dublin because
he had formed himself on a
denial of Dublin's values. He is
the egocentric rebel become an
ultimate. There is no question
whatever in his regeneration."
'He has a shape that can't be
changed,' as Joyce put it.
-
I suppose that rings true to
me because it IS true to me.
Or, to put it another way, 'If
not me, who?' I can best still
remember the shape and smell
of things as I was growing up,
and I will thereby continue to
relate. I am the junkyard and
the highway, the oil-pool-sludge
that used to be a stream. I am
the trailer court and the dead
farm-field of old. I am that
fat and twisted, though now
withered or gone, gigantic old
old Osage Orange (and often
erroneously called 'Uglee Fruit')
trees, three or four of which,
until the 1970's lined the back
end of Inman Avenue, at the
woods between Mulligan's
house and Hiram's Trailers.
I am the memory of the
rocks and woods where
Doreen Drive and Mark Place
are now. None of that can go
away  -  it's still there, even
in my own mythologized
fashion. All you have to do
is put a spiritual value on
things, instead of pissing it
away chasing money and
position. That's where the
real light of life is, the aspects
of the spiritual which we can
implant within ourselves and,
hopefully, to others too. That's
what gives lasting value to
living, and death too. Not
suits and ties and shorts and
beanies. Let's face it, all this
has become ponderously
ridiculous  -  all that boisterous
and ugly fat-lady stuff, Greek
and Italian parodies on stage
by fluff-balls of indeterminate
sexuality, thinking they're
way cool and ahead of the
curve by being incongruously
stupid. My God, what a
dismal world it all creates.
I have to ask you, really,
would YOU wish to meet
Wilkinson in the dark? Would
you want your kids to? He's
living off your tax dollar.
-
There's a definite defining
point between fact and fiction,
between the dead-horse fantasy
of stupid living and the more
pure 'reality' of creating a lasting
and spiritual palace. Had I the
mind to, I could throw these
scoundrels into Sewaren Bay,
hoping they'd drown, in an
afternoon. I could take over
this town just on charisma
and charm. (Ha!) But I won't
because it's mostly filled with
dead people  -  go ahead, for
me, read James Joyce's stories
in 'Dubliners.' Read 'The Dead.'
Then come over, and we'll talk.
-
I always had plans, as I've gone
over here before, for an academy
or a school of my own  -  someplace 
distinctive and real to impart ideas
and knowledge to others, from.
One time I thought for sure that
Murray and Martha's corner dump
could do it, sort of just a large,
open and/studio/class place. Then
it just turned to derelict space,
now part of someone else's 
'Master Plan' for self-abuse.
The long-gone campus setting
of the old General Dynamics
place, also gone, would have been
wonderful; massive. Avenel's
own little Institute for Higher
Learning, and boy-ass don't 
we need that. Speaking of which,
we get the Wilkinsons; America's
foremost funny-farm of jerks.
Anyone out there doubting my
esteemable intentions, take a cue
from this. Read it instead as 'The
Louds.' Remember that old TV
riddlement, of a California family
falling to pieces? Just like here.
-
I was over, today, walking the
long, thin graveyard at the White
Church  -  maybe 700 graves from
300 years. Maybe. A lot of the
old Woodbridge names can be
found therein, although it's not
really much, as cemetery's go.
We used to Bicycle there as kids,
looking  -  for some reason  -  for
Zebulon Pike's grave. He's the
guy who discovered what became
known as Pikes Peak. Word was, 
he was from here, etc., but as
it turned out he died somewhere 
else, Colorado or something, and
all that's here are maybe a few
Pike family members. Never 
found them either. In any case,
I noticed today a good number
of the graves read : 'With God 
now, for all Eternity.' Or some 
small variation of that. That 
got me into one of my deep-think
funks. What were these old people
thinking, a hundred-fifty years ago?
Kind of before Science, as we know
it, and much of the 'information'
we run with today. Nature never
wastes. Nature is a complete
efficiency. Yet, these gravestones
are staid and complacent enough
to proclaim : 'one shot at this
world, maybe 70 years tops, 
and the rest, ALL 'eternity (?) 
with God.' Doing what? What 
becomes of all our thought and 
effort and work and production? 
Why then this world we've made, 
the miserable turmoil, AND the 
fine, grand moments? All, 
apparently right down the
Rahway Avenue White Church
drain  -  with or without old
Zebulon Pike. I'd rather a
Dublin of my own, thanks.







No comments: