Thursday, September 20, 2018

11,173. RUDIMENTS, pt. 446

RUDIMENTS, pt. 446
(high times at the high hill garage)
Armed disengagement? Unarmed
engagement. I'm migrant, as in
Immigrant? How's this all go. I
used to walk around wondering.
My whole world was a funny
place, and I got nothing, as far
as input, except for what I
myself put in. It took very
little time adjusting to that
and I soon realized I'd mostly
be on my own for the rest of
time. Which is where the 'young
kid and books' connection came
in. I devoured in those years
most anything I could find  -  
and that wasn't much  -  in 
the library, Avenel, I mean; 
Mrs. Muccilli in particular.
She'd make sure the quirky
little 1960 poetry books kept
coming in  - I don't really know
how she defended or managed
all that, but I kept reading  -  
Rexroth, Lowell, Berryman,
Ashbery, O'Hara. There was 
a bunch of them  - they were
odd and oddly-sized volumes.
When you got a dump of a place,
all you've got is a dump of a
place? Well, not exactly : (the 
funniest thing  -  back then there
were two guys from Bunn's 
Lane, mind you, Bunn's Lane,
which made Avenel probably 
look like Scarsdale by 
comparison. Polish teens,
who were in the local Sea 
Scouts contingent which met 
at the Woodbridge Armory  - 
out at the clay pits adjacent
to the Turnpike. They always
said, 'Avenel? Avenel  -  that's
a meatball town.' Yeah, and
I'm John D. Rockefeller, 
fellows). This all makes me
sound archaic, by using this
reference, because the claypits
are long-gone, the Turnpike
thrives, and though the 'Armory'
still stands, the entire acreage
all around has become real 
estate speculation central  -
office towers, a shopping mall,
(High Hill Garage too long 
gone), and some pride of the
local corruption racket 
'community center' with a
newly installed $340,000 
light-board sign, as if it
was the Meadowlands
Arena. And, lest we forget, 
the crooked Zirpolo empire
building which the town 
thieves are in the process of 
buying for 10 million dollars,
(with my tax money : yours 
too, if you're sad enough to 
live here). My view backwards
in time does not include these
rancorous, foul, endeavors,
brought to you as they are by
the likes of an Al Capone
residuary crooked fiefdom
led by a short-pants ghoul
who thinks he's running a 
shit-version of Cleveland.
As I look out over that land  -
the expanse runs from the old
old Centric Clutch location,
and the old town garage,
right across to the Armory  -
I can realize what's going on,
and what's not being said, 
and who's buying (secretly)
the other parcels : this entire
stretch is being set-up, right
now, on paper and CAD 
diagrams somewhere, 
probably in the 'ONYX 
Building' right now (formerly
the Hess Building)  -  Onyx
is a company that buys out
towns (pays-off?) master-plans
them with ten-year timelines, 
destroys and rebuilds them  -
for FULL corridor development.
If you're in the know, now and
early, there's gold in them
there hills, ten years off.
 You watch that corridor, and
if I'm still alive in 10 years,
you come tell ME what's 
been done there by the 
canker-sore bastards we
have in office now. Keep
an eye, in the same fashion,
on that Inman Sports Club
and Driving Range land.
Same people involved.
-
Yep, I learned all that from 
reading poetry. (Thanks! 
Avenel. And thanks, Mrs.
Muccilli). You see, the stuff
they don't want you to know 
is always right there at the 
end of your nose. All you've
got to do is put your eyes
close-in and focus a little
better. You can see it.
-
I used to examine almost 
each street around me, by
bicycle or walking. I knew
the porches and the alcoves,
the cool yards and the cleansed
yards. You could tell a lot
about a person just by viewing
where they lived. Probably 
even today. Sterile, pot-shed
thinking? Just check out 
Guernsey, in Colonia. A 
sadder, more un-infested
place you'll never see. Even
what trees there are are 
ashamed to grow. The 
coolest place I ever saw, and
this went until very recently too,
when  -  of course  -  one of the
'churches' decided to make the
house their Saturday Spring
Clean-up project house. The
old Cermayan joint, on 'Fifth
Avenue,' as Avenel puts it.
As I've written about, my father
was an upholsterer, doing a lot
of work in the basement, right
there on Inman Ave., and, along
with the Cermayan guys, who 
were his cushion and pillow 
crafters and all that  -  an old
guy, his son and some needle
trades woman  -  (this is all
through the 60's and 70's). 
They'd work in the rear 
garage/shed area. There was 
little concern for much else, 
and the house just sat there, 
year after year, until maybe 
two Summers ago when the
local Presbyters (yeah, the ones
with the free-paved parking lot)
made it their project house and
cut the guts right out of it. Not
mindful of pride or character,
the house now sits, looking
stupid, and as bland as a
reformed hooker in church.
But, that's the kind of 
progress that closed-thinking 
brings you. Just like the 
moon-expanse of Guernsey.
-
So, if I say things are out 
of control, are you gonna'
spit at me? Is that the sort
of reaction to be expected 
from a choice, prime-cut 
steer, meatball town like 
this one? When the pot calls
the kettle black, I just get
up and leave. And, hell,
I'm part North African.
-
When it came down to the
rubber meeting the road,
Avenel always lost out, and
thought and better-glory won.
I was on a quest for that and
made sure of that quest, turning
all things my way. The guy,
the old guy, from High-Hill
Garage, when I was at St. George
Press, took me aside one day
to show me the bullet holes still
in his building from when that
all had been, into the late 1940's
anyway, hunting lands. He said,
working the garage, certain times
of year he'd have to be careful
himself, about stepping outside, 
watching not to be shot, making
sure he wore orange, and trying
first to be sure no walking hunters
were pouting about, hungry for
the kill. Funny stuff. Nowadays
you're more apt to be run over
by a gleeful carload of chubby
local shoppers roaring out of
Woodbridge Center or Sharon
Gardens. Ain't life grand?





No comments: