Wednesday, September 5, 2018

11,136. RUDIMENTS, pt. 430

RUDIMENTS, pt. 430
(avenel long-lines)
Sometimes a straight line
has nothing at all to do with
being the shortest distance
between two points. I've found
that any old way will get you
there; you can fly, right over
the poles and in any zig-zag
manner you select. It's all
meaningless in the long run.
Or, as put by John Maynard
Keynes, 'In the long run, we're
all dead,' and all the pride and
pretension of hugging chuckles
with Tom Hanks won't bring
you home again. (Yes, I do 
actually know someone who 
dines with Tom Hanks. It's
nothing to me, but I thought
I'd make mention). So, in that
fashion, I tolerate a lot of
crap. Remember that previous
chapter's fake drug-deal in
my father's presence  -  much
to his consternation  -  the two
people who did that were pretty
good at a form of street-theater
that should have been better
promoted. The later 60's had a
lot of that : there were little
storefront theater groups
popping up on every (well,
just about) lower east side
street : psychic theater,
anti-war aggression, stage
tactics taken to the street
to smack people's attention
and consciousness around.
It sort of had to be done,
because the world mostly
had just fallen asleep, into
some crestfallen darkness of
tract housing and sameness.
These days we have robots
and drones. Don't kid yourself,
they were just as prevalent
then, except that they were
alive, and had to eat and shit
and talk. And carry guns
and bombs in armies of
the dead so as to kill,
poison, and maim others.
What's so different about
different anyway?
-
There had to be a great shaking
out, I sensed it and I knew it
was coming. Day by day it
was building. It's said now
that the largest pollution in
the world, and perhaps the
biggest culprit, are the two
daily-commute periods of
the millions who work. Of
course, no one ever talks
about that, or there being way
too many people now. The
eco-goons now would rather
steer you into buying 'cleaner'
eco-toilet paper or toothpaste,
and make you recycle every
tinker-bell piece of crap paper
and wrapper provided by
the gazillion poison eateries
and fast-food factories where
sick people line up for more
sick food. No one ever gets
to the bottom of things. (Hey!
Is that a toilet paper joke?).
Insufferably going nowhere,
or slowly. Sitting in traffic
lines, steaming themselves
into heart attacks, anger and
anxiety, and the rest, while
besmirching the world we
live in. For what? I don't
know what we even make
anymore, but in the 1960's
there were still factories
and manufacturing plants  -
all along the rail and roadway
corridors : smoke and yellowing
pollution. Now at least, since
we really 'handle' nothing,
and technology has taken
over a lot of the tasking, I
guess people can work more
from home, maybe. A lot of
that smoke and corridor smog
is gone, yes, but surely now
it's been replaced by other
things  -  worse things, as
a pollution of the mind is
always worse.
-
I've known two people who
drove those enormous 1970
era Chryslers. One was my
printing boss in Elmira, Floyd
White, of Whitehall Printing.
(His wife's name was Margaret
Hall; thus 'WhiteHall'). I used
to think it sounded so important
and exalted and British. Floyd's
was a huge, green (that terrible
Chrysler green from those days),
aircraft carrier of a car, all flat
planes and single lines. Here
in Avenel/Colonia, in the early
and mid 80's was another guy,
Martin D'Aigle, of 90 East Hill
Road or one of those 'hill' roads.
His was the exact same, green
and all, as Floyd's. Martin was
one of the 'eccentrics' I skipped,
because he didn't walk around
and confound others, he just
angrily drove around in this
huge Chrysler, cursing out
everything he saw. Martin was
the hanger-on helper of sorts, in
his old age, at St. George Press;
old friends with the owner, and
basically repairman, mechanic,
builder and fixer of anything we
needed. He'd built, in fact, his
own house, in the early 1950's,
by hand at that little hillside
site. It's still there too. His
wife was dead, and he had a
grown daughter. As he aged,
Martin got progressively more
angry about the present day
(that present day, then). I ran
into him one time, on a Saturday
morning, in the parking lot of
the old Rickel's. The hood was up,
he was cursing out the car, the
engineering, the way it was built,
the entire thing. I approached
him, to help, and he about tore
my head off too. The gist I got
was, basically, 'I hate this world
and this car too, and I don't
want to be here any more.' It
was all too bad. I never seen 
anyone, before this, undergo
such a gradual and declining 
personality shift. And it is to
this day, the way people age
and turn sour, get strangely
upset and cranky enough to
turn on others, their peers
and the rest. Towards the
end, in real pain, he had
developed a nasty limp,
his hip was shot, and he
could hardly get around.
My printing boss guy, his
friend, arranged for, and
provided him with, a hip-
replacement operation.
Martin died in the post-op
recovery about two days after.
It was a terrible, sorrowful
scene, all that. He had, until
that point, been a crazy dynamo.
-
In a previous chapter, I made
my own mention of 'eccentrics'
wading through Avenel. Like
Martin. I made my point, and
was done, and moved along.
What I don't understand is how
I get notes now about how I
missed this or that wealthy
lawyer who collected snuff-boxes,
or entertained famous people
with his movie collection or
the butcher who sang opera.
Obviously, I've got one weird
reader who insists that I write
only what he sees. Ain't gonn'a
be. They're not 'eccentric,' they're
just someone else's idea of elite.
And frankly, if I didn't 'know' of
them, how could I write of them?
-
Those large, long Chryslers were
sure ugly. There's a design point,
in the autos of that period, where
the simplicity of line and stretch
was fully played out. Designers
had nowhere else to go  -  hiding
the headlamps and putting them
behind automated grill flaps and
such was a horrible joke. Taking
one huge piece of heavy chrome
and grinning it around the front
as the bumper-lead was just plain
ugly. Side-slab features were
barren and gross. Tail lights and
rear ends went begging. It was
all over, yet people were still
gleefully driving their 220 inches
(length I mean) of lethal steel
to the candy counters and
supermarkets of the world. The
seventies were just so senseless.
-
I guess each town has its pet
themes and favorite things - a
local car dealer gets the cop-car
contract over a deal at the local 
diner, a handshake seals it, a few
signatures, and then the money
turns hands. The local pols duck
and dive, and the numbers never 
do see the light of day. It's always
that way. Yet, still people go on 
as if they live in a place they 
can  actually 'change.' I can 
assure you, anyone, that the 
actual retards who run things
allow you no such chance. 
You may talk and testify 
and protest, sure, and they'll 
hear you and let you go on
for the sake of the 'process' and
for cover too, but anything that
happens 'tomorrow' has already
been placed and assumed and
dealt for, two years previous.
That's the real process, behind 
the scenes, by the dirty criminals
you call friends and neighbors.
You have as much chance of
changing the design-look of that
old Chrysler than you do of
effecting change in tomorrow's
daily gay planet of perversion 
and Gomorrah-like pleasure
about to be hoisted onto your
tax shoulders. The real straight
line is that you're already fried
in oil and cooked.
-
Whenever I returned to Avenel
from New York City  -  whether
for two hours or two days  -  all
I could ever do was compare the
gimcrackery of foolishness and
parochialism I'd see here with the
finer points of an 'already descending-
though-chaos but at least with a
history and a brain,' New York.
The equivalences were of sitting
out front of the New York Public
Library, or behind it, in Bryant
park, sniffing the drug-deals and
hookers, as against hanging out
in the Rickel's parking lot having
Martin snivel and carp about
whatever he would. Yes, my
friends, street-theater now
is everywhere.
-
I slowly eased into my new
circumstances. It was all much
like learning a new language  -  
which task gets more and more
difficult as we age. Younger kids
have a great facility, early on, for
learning new tongues quickly. 
That's the time to get them  -  pick
up some French and Spanish, 
German or Chinese, and it all 
comes easy. Like the 'Suzuki 
Method' of violin-training  -  
again, for the young  - catching
that stream early on works
wonders. My new time in
the city was still under the old
influence of my Avenel-hick
twang, a kind of wheeze and 
snort of the dumb and unformed.
I soon caught on, and I did, soon
enough, start losing that underpass
twang. It was important that it
soon enough be gone.




No comments: